1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Want to study physics, but pressured towards engineering

Tags:
  1. Jan 3, 2018 #21

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

@Wrichik Basu , I'm sorry to hear about what your father is going through, but keep in mind that this experience isn't necessarily typical of engineers in general throughout the world. It may well be that employers in India (your profile indicates that you are from Kolkata) -- or at least where your father works -- have an especially poor reputation in terms of how they treat engineers.

2. Jan 3, 2018 #22

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

It is worth pointing out that physics graduates who are OK with not working as researchers do have skillsets that make them employable in many different industries. In Toronto, where I live, physicists frequently work in large financial institutions as quants or work as data scientists.

3. Jan 3, 2018 #23
    When I was 17 years old I was at the same situation. I wanted to become a physicist but my parents forced me to become an electrical engineer because it would be easier for me to get a well paid job. My favorite lesson was semiconductor physics, because of the quantum mechanics elements. I learned a lot of things as far as programming, control systems theory, computer architecture, machine learning and many other stuff are concerned. When I graduated, I decided that I like microelectronics because this field was closer to physics than the other areas and now that I am 25 years old, I ended up in the field of laser physics and photonics in general. The beautiful thing is that photonics is an area with a lot of physics (optics, electromagnetic fields, quantum mechanics,etc), but I also use a lot of the things that I have learned as an electrical engineer (machine learning, control systems theory and biomechanics). I am about to begin my PhD thesis and I couldn't be happier.

So yes if you choose electrical engineering you will do a lot of physics. It's a very broad field that gives you many options. On the other hand if you like theoretical physics and that kind of stuff, then maybe you should become a physicist. I just wanted to share my experience. I hope it helps.

4. Jan 3, 2018 #24

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

But you also must understand that your father's experience is not typical. It is rare, lawsuit or quit territory.

5. Jan 3, 2018 #25

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes; I only provided half the picture. It was not meant to say they aren't employable (it was previously stated, correctly, that they are), just that they may need to cast a wider than expected net.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted