1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Warp drive or electronics engineering

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    Hey everybody, I'm from Argentina and going to college soon. I'm stuck between physics (mainly for contributing to interstellar travel) and electronics engineering. The thing is, I'd only study physics if there's a slight chance of witnessing warp drive/wormhole technologies in this lifetime. Otherwise, I'm going into electronics, field I find very interesting. I know it seems ridiculous, but that's how I'm feeling.

You never know for sure, perhaps we are only one discovery away from FTL travel. Still, I always find discouraging opinions on the subject. I wanted to know what you guys think about it

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not going to happen ... it's science fiction.

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3
    Yeah I know. But it's not like they are just made up. Wormholes are "predicted" by relativity for example. And I've read about some scientific papers talking about the plausibility of warp drives

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, good luck with that.

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5
    Lol, most of myself came to look for that exact kind of discouragement

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6
    I'll throw in my two cents.

1. If you would only plan on pursuing physics based on the possibility of one invention (especially at the Ph. D. level), you will not succeed. You've got a lot to grind through that doesn't involve warp drives, and if you heart isn't in it, you probably won't make it.
    2. There's almost no chance we'll be experiencing warp drives and interstellar space travel in our lifetime. Why? Too many problems down here right now. There's really not much financial incentive to make it happen at the moment. Sad, yes, because it would certainly be exciting, but warp drives cost money. Not to mention the possible amount of energy such a device would require, and the fact that no one knows how it would be done.

8. Jan 8, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty significant factor. I think it's more appropriate to say that no one knows if it COULD be done.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  9. Jan 8, 2015 #8
    Well, luckily for you, in this case you can sort of both have the cake and eat it too. Just keep in mind that if someone actually figures out how to do a warp drive in the near future, they are surely going to need electronics engineers to test/build it...

10. Jan 8, 2015 #9
    Correction. It's science fiction, at the moment.

That being said, I don't think we'll see warp drive in our lifetimes, that's technology probably a century or more away. That's a pretty huge extreme between something like Alcubiere's FTL work (which was based on general relativity) and electronics engineering. I think the OP needs to understand the breadth in both fields and not just the sexy areas.

11. Jan 8, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They are not. There are solutions to the equations that look like wormholes, but there is no known way to make them stable long enough to be useful. You would have to find something with a negative energy density, and it is unclear if that exists at all. In addition, there is no known way how those wormholes could be created.
    The situation is very similar for the warp drive concepts.

And even if they are possible at all (that is a huge "if"), I would expect cryogenics or even mind uploading to be viable long before fast interstellar travel.

12. Jan 8, 2015 #11
    Please work on the warp drive. I broke mine getting here, and I want to go home.

13. Jan 8, 2015 #12
    I have done some basic electronics before, and my uncle is an electronics engineer aswell. So i kinda know what im getting into if i choose electronics. (Unlike physics, enviroment i know little or nothing about). Thanks for replying

14. Jan 8, 2015 #13
    Thanks for the info!

15. Jan 8, 2015 #14
    Thanks for replying. Well, there are some other fields in physics that seem interesting to me, but not as much as electronics. Anyways, i can still switch to physics after an engineering degree (doing some courses to catch up, of course)

16. Jan 9, 2015 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've heard many strange reasons why people would want to study physics, but this has got to be the silliest.

If this is the ONLY reason that will get you into physics, then I will say go and study electronics.

Zz.

17. Jan 9, 2015 #16

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, Zefram Cochrane didn't get his warp drive going until 2061, so you may have to wait a while ... :rolleyes:

Look for any weird developments around Bozeman, Montana. I know Sheldon Cooper tried to move there recently, but he was scared off by the locals, probably to keep him from discovering warp technology first. :))

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zefram_Cochrane

18. Jan 9, 2015 #17
    First time you see somebody trying to get into physics because of sci-fi? Cant believe that.
    Its not the only thing that makes me want to get into physics, its just that space travel is the most interesting thing for me. Besides that, there are plenty or other fields that seem interesting to me, but not as much as electronics. Its not that i'd get into physics only for a single (highly unprobable) goal. To be honest, i was writing from my ipad and just wanted to get to the point quickly.

19. Jan 16, 2015 #18
    Hi Krandor,

why not consider aerospace engineering. You can work on satellites...

regards,
    Aaron

20. Jan 16, 2015 #19
    Electrical and electronics engineers can also work on satellites.

21. Jan 16, 2015 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, they really are just made up. Even the attempts at science are based on technobabble (alcubierre drive).
    Sure, but there aren't any real ideas about how they might be controlled.

More to the point, when planning a career, you need to play good odds. Might you be Zefram Cochrain? Well, we can't rule it out, but if you put all your eggs in that basket, you are much, much more likely to end up a buned-out alcoholic than a visionary inventor. [/movie reference] Go for something you know is real and you know will provide you a good life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook