Surviving a Solar Storm: The Challenges of Monitoring Earth from Mars

• Thread starter Chatterton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Mars
In summary, the orbiter will likely be unable to communicate with Earth for a period of time after a large CME, but it will eventually be able to see more of Earth's nighttime side. If the CME of 2012 had been a direct hit, it would've taken 4-10 years to get everything back online.
Chatterton
Hi! I'm playing around with an idea for a story set on an orbiter around Mars. While Mars and Earth were on opposite sides of the sun, Earth got hit by a colossal coronal mass ejection even bigger than the Carrington event of 1859. So they see Earth rise but can't pick up any radio signals (figuring the problem's on their end at first). My big question is . . . how long will it take before they can see enough of the nighttime side of Earth to figure out there's no more power grid?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the orbiter has a pretty good telescope aboard they should be able to resolve the Earth enough to see it as a globe instead of a few pixels.
However when Mars is exactly the opposite side of the Sun from Earth there are two problems:
First, the Sun might be in the way of making any observations of Earth or communications with Earth.
This happens regularly with the present rovers on Mars, so they get put into a resting mode.
Secondly, even if the Sun is not in the way, the night side of Earth won't be visible.
After the point of exact opposition is past. they will see increasingly more of Earth's night side.
I'd guess it might be a month or maybe two before enough of the night side is visible for a conclusion to be drawn that all the lights on Earth had gone out.

For your story, the likely sequence of events is that the Mars orbiter is fully expecting to lose communications with Earth for several days, and is fully expecting that Earth will back in contact after that.
... but then things start to get not as planned ...

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Thanks, rootone.
And yes, things do start to get not as planned.

I don't think its a very realistic scenario anyways. For a manned Mars mission there would certainly be a transmitting probe somewhere in an orbit that allows the astronauts to communicate with Earth even when it is behind the sun. And at least some emergency power supply would be back on again within minutes after a huge CME.

And at least some emergency power supply would be back on again within minutes after a huge CME.

Well, let's discuss that point, because I'm getting conflicting answers on that. There are some saying that if it were big enough it could fry the whole power grid. There's speculation that if the CME of 2012 had been a direct hit it would've taken 4-10 years to get everything back online.

Gigaz said:
...some emergency power supply would be back on again within minutes after a huge CME.
Very likely, but would communicating with the Mars orbiter have much of a priority in these circumstances?

Do we not get advance warning of those things ? Surely they'd get warned comms might go down for a while.

The fastest Earth-directed CMEs can reach our planet in as little as 15-18 hours. Slower CMEs can take several days to arrive.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/phenomena/coronal-mass-ejections

jim hardy said:
Do we not get advance warning of those things ?
Yes, but there may not be enough time to get the warning to the Mars orbiter before the anticipated radio silence.
Room there for some political intrigues in the story
Still though. you have to get some guns into the story before hollywood will be interested.
Though I guess a romantic bit without going into sex might work.

Last edited:
My idea for the story is to have the POV entirely from the perspective of the people on the ship. So, if you're on a ship millions of miles from home with depleted fuel and food reserves and it looks like home just went back to the dark ages, from their perspective the amount of advance warning would be a bit of a moot point.

If the power grid had to be rebuilt from scratch, retrieving some astronauts from Mars would likely be one of the lowest priorities imaginable. And everyone on board would know that. Does that make any sense?

I like the idea of the relay satellite though. But I'm pretty sure it would give a limited stream of info, much like the way the ISS gets a limited feed filtered through the space agencies.

rootone said:
Still though. you have to get some guns into the story before hollywood will be interested.
Though I guess a romantic bit without going into sex might work.

I know where to find guns on the ISS (a 9mm in every Soyuz capsule, just in case things go way wrong on re-entry), but I can't justify guns in orbit of Mars. Complicated relationships, though. I got you covered!

1. How is the Earth observed from Mars?

The Earth is observed from Mars through remote sensing techniques, such as using telescopes and satellites. These instruments capture images and data from a distance, allowing scientists to analyze and study the Earth's surface, atmosphere, and climate.

2. What is the benefit of watching the Earth from Mars?

Watching the Earth from Mars can provide valuable insights into our planet's changes over time, including changes in weather patterns, land use, and other environmental factors. It also allows for a different perspective on our planet and can aid in understanding the Earth's place in the solar system.

3. How does observing the Earth from Mars contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying the Earth from Mars can provide important data for comparing and contrasting with other planets and celestial bodies. This helps scientists to better understand the geology, atmosphere, and potential for life on other planets, giving us a broader understanding of the universe as a whole.

4. What challenges are faced when observing the Earth from Mars?

One of the main challenges of observing the Earth from Mars is the great distance between the two planets. This can make it difficult to capture clear and detailed images, and to accurately measure and analyze data. Additionally, factors such as weather conditions and the Earth's rotation can also impact the quality of observations from Mars.

5. How is technology advancing to improve observations of the Earth from Mars?

Advancements in technology, such as improved telescopes and satellites, are continuously being developed to enhance our ability to observe and study the Earth from Mars. These advancements include higher resolution cameras, more advanced remote sensing techniques, and improved data analysis methods, allowing for a more detailed and comprehensive understanding of our planet.