How does the Venturi effect work in a Geyser Water Cannon toy?

In summary, the Geyser Water Cannon works using the Venturi effect. The principle of operation is that a fluid's velocity increases as it passes through a constriction. This pressure can be increased to almost any reasonable pressure by making the tappering part more narrow and/or making the opening smaller.
gloo68
I have this toy I bought for my daughter. It is called a Geyser Water Cannon and supposedly it works using the Venturi effect. Basically it's a 2 foot cone that starts out with a wide diameter (1 foot) and narrows to about 1 inch - with openings on each end. When you pull down or push down this cone on a surface of water - it can shoot water up to 30 feet.

I am all confused by this talk of the Venturi effect as water travels from a wide volume to a narrow one.

Questions:
1. Is the water shooting higher not created because I am pushing and concentrating water up a narrow channel and thus the pressure created shoots the water higher??

2. Doesn't a syringe work in the same way with the opening being smaller in diameter than the barrel of a syringe? And thus the stream shoots higher because of pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's the Venturi effect. That has to do with a reduction in static pressure when a fluid passes through a constriction.

From the wiki article on the venturi effect: According to the laws governing fluid dynamics, a fluid's velocity must increase as it passes through a constriction to satisfy the principle of continuity, while its pressure must decrease to satisfy the principle of conservation of mechanical energy.

It looks to me like it's simply a result of the principle of continuity. So I think the answer to both of your questions is, yes.

If this isn't right someone correct me.

Here is an advertisement for the "Geyser Water Canon" with a photo of the device, plus many comments from users. This may help others describe the principle of operation.

http://www.yoyo.com/p/geyser-guys-geyser-gusher-water-cannon-colors-may-vary-354192

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Drakkith - thanks so much for the reply.

So the next query is, Given a set force and size of the cone (volume wise), we can can actually increase the pressure to almost any reasonable pressure (i.e. 500 Kpa?) by just making the tappering part more narrow and/or make the opening smaller correct?

gloo68 said:
@ Drakkith - thanks so much for the reply.

So the next query is, Given a set force and size of the cone (volume wise), we can can actually increase the pressure to almost any reasonable pressure (i.e. 500 Kpa?) by just making the tappering part more narrow and/or make the opening smaller correct?

I want to say yes, as that would make sense to me, but I have no formal physics education so I can't be sure.

Drakkith said:
I want to say yes, as that would make sense to me, but I have no formal physics education so I can't be sure.

@ Drakkith - ok thanks for your efforts.

If anyone else has thoughts on this I would appreciate. Thank you in advance.

1. How does a water cannon toy work?

A water cannon toy uses pressure to propel water through a narrow nozzle, creating a jet of water that can be directed and aimed at a target. The pressure is created by either manually pumping the toy or using a motorized mechanism.

2. What is the range of a water cannon toy?

The range of a water cannon toy depends on the amount of pressure and the size of the nozzle. Generally, it can reach distances of 10-15 feet, but some high-powered models can reach up to 30 feet.

3. Is it safe for children to use a water cannon toy?

Most water cannon toys are designed with safety in mind and are suitable for children to use. However, it is always important for children to be supervised while playing with any toy to avoid accidents or injuries.

4. Can a water cannon toy be used with other liquids besides water?

While water is the most commonly used liquid in water cannon toys, some models can also be used with other liquids such as soap or soda. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions and warnings before using any liquid other than water.

5. How do I maintain and clean a water cannon toy?

To maintain a water cannon toy, it is important to regularly clean it after each use to prevent buildup of bacteria. Simply rinse it with clean water and let it dry thoroughly before storing it. It is also important to store the toy in a dry place to avoid mold and mildew growth.