How Does Changing Pipe Radius Affect Pressure in Laminar Flow?

In summary, the conversation discusses Poiseuille's equation for laminar flow in a pipe and how to determine the required pressure difference for a certain flow rate when the pipe's radius is reduced. It also touches on the applicability of this calculation in agricultural irrigation and the determination of laminar flow through the Reynolds number.
ussrasu
I need some help with this question.

Q: Poiseuille's equation shows that for laminar flow the volume flow rate through a pipe in proportional to the product of the pressure difference and the fourth power of the radius. The viscosity of water is 1.0*10^-3 Pa.s

a) Water in a pipe is flowing without turbulence under a certain pressure difference. If the radius of the pipe is reduced by 20%, what percentage increase in pressure difference is required to maintain the same flow rate?

b) In agricultural irrigation, typical values of flow velocity and pipe diameter are 1.0m/s and 100mm, respectively. Is a calculation such as in part a) applicable? (i.e. is the flow in the pipe likely to be laminar?)

I don't know how to do part a) - I am guessing it involves rearranging Poiseuille's Law - but i don't know how to do the maths for it?

The Law is: J = ((pi*R^4)/(8*eta))*((delta(P))/l)

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
ussrasu said:
I don't know how to do part a) - I am guessing it involves rearranging Poiseuille's Law - but i don't know how to do the maths for it?

The Law is: J = ((pi*R^4)/(8*eta))*((delta(P))/l)
Sounds to me like you are supposed to assume all else stays the same except radius and pressure. Write your J equation for two different combinations of radius and pressure difference and set the equations equal. You can solve for the ratio of pressure differences in terms of the known ratio of radii.

So i let R = 0.8 on one side, and the final pressure as what I am trying to find, and then on the other side i let R=1 as that's at the initial radius, and let the pressure equal 1 here asell and then solve for Final Pressure?

Thanks!

ussrasu said:
So i let R = 0.8 on one side, and the final pressure as what I am trying to find, and then on the other side i let R=1 as that's at the initial radius, and let the pressure equal 1 here asell and then solve for Final Pressure?

Thanks!
That's the idea, but you don't have to use 1 for anything. You can use ratios. For one case you have R1 and deltaP1; for the second case you have R2 and deltaP2. When you set the two equal you can rearrange the equation to solve for the ratio deltaP2/deltaP1 in terms of the known ratio R2/R1.

Cool thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to explain part b to this question? What would you say?

Thanks

Calculate the Reynolds number for that flow. If it is <3500 or so, it will be laminar.

What causes water to flow in a pipe?

Water flows in a pipe due to the pressure difference between the source of the water and the outlet. This pressure difference creates a force that pushes the water through the pipe, causing it to flow.

How fast does water flow in a pipe?

The speed of water flow in a pipe can vary depending on factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the pressure of the water, and the viscosity of the liquid. However, on average, water can flow at a rate of 1-2 meters per second in a typical household pipe.

Can water flow uphill in a pipe?

Yes, water can flow uphill in a pipe as long as the source of the water is at a higher elevation than the outlet. This is because the force of gravity will still act on the water, pulling it down towards the outlet.

What happens if the pipe is too narrow for the water to flow?

If the pipe is too narrow, it will create more resistance to the flow of water. This can cause the water to flow at a slower rate or even stop completely. In extreme cases, the pressure may build up and cause the pipe to burst.

What is the effect of temperature on water flow in a pipe?

The temperature of water can affect its viscosity, which in turn can impact the flow rate in a pipe. Generally, warmer water will have a lower viscosity and flow more easily, while colder water may flow slower due to its higher viscosity.