Water hammer with multipule diameters

• Thread starter rppearso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with water hammer in a pipeline downstream of water pumps. The speaker is using Perry's chemical engineers handbook to address the issue, but is unsure of how to account for changing pipe diameters and whether the water hammer can travel to the suction of the pump while it is running. They also mention a textbook on the method of characteristics, and question if it is necessary for complex piping configurations. Ultimately, the focus is on determining the distance from the closing valve to the affected area and using methods that correct for the elasticity of the pipe. To be conservative, the largest calculated speed of sound should be used.
rppearso
I am working a valve closure problem down stream of water pumps. The problem is with water hammer when the valves close too quickly. I am using Perrys chemical engineers hand book section 6-44 for the hydraulic transients section but need to know how to account for changing diameters of pipe between the valve that is closing and the pump. Also the plant is saying that the water hammer traveled to the suction of the pump, is this possible while the pump is running?

I have a textbook on the method of charachteristics, does this extremely complicated method become nessicary any time you introduce a convoluded piping configuration between the valve and the pressure source?

I guess technically all I care about is the distance from the closing valve to the area in question which would be the piping upstream of the pump and the upstream tank.

Engineering news on Phys.org
These methods correct the speed of sound for elasticity of the pipe. These formulas are a function of pipe diameter and wall thickness. Therefore, for practical purposes, and to be conservative, I would use the line size that results in the largest calculated speed of sound.

What is water hammer with multiple diameters?

Water hammer with multiple diameters refers to the phenomenon of a sudden surge or shock wave in a fluid (such as water) due to a change in flow velocity or direction. This can occur when there are multiple changes in pipe diameter, leading to pressure fluctuations and potential damage to the system.

What causes water hammer with multiple diameters?

Water hammer with multiple diameters is caused by a sudden change in the momentum of a fluid, typically due to a change in flow direction or velocity. This can occur in piping systems when there are multiple changes in pipe diameter, leading to pressure fluctuations and potential damage to the system.

What are the effects of water hammer with multiple diameters?

The effects of water hammer with multiple diameters can include loud noises, increased pressure and stress on pipes, and potential damage to the system. In extreme cases, it can even cause pipes to burst or fittings to fail, leading to costly repairs and downtime.

How can water hammer with multiple diameters be prevented?

Water hammer with multiple diameters can be prevented by carefully designing and installing piping systems with gradual changes in pipe diameter, using air chambers or surge tanks to absorb pressure fluctuations, and ensuring proper maintenance and operation of the system.

What are the potential solutions for water hammer with multiple diameters?

The potential solutions for water hammer with multiple diameters include installing pressure relief valves, using surge tanks or air chambers to absorb pressure fluctuations, and implementing proper maintenance and operation practices to prevent sudden changes in flow velocity or direction.