Waterproofing wire connection?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the best way to waterproof a wire connection. The wires were soldered together and a standard junction box could not be used. Self sealing silicone tape was suggested as a possible solution, but it was mentioned that the installation may not comply with local electrical codes for outdoor power. The voltage of the wires was confirmed to be 230VAC.
TechTree
Hello, I'm trying to find the best way to waterproof a wire connection.
DSC_0096.jpg

As you can see in the image I've got three wires connected together with a bit of electrical tape in place. I can't fit a standard junction box because the wires are soldered together.

Is there anything I could use that would make this more waterproof?

Many thanks!

Edit: Referring to 230v AC, 6.8 Amps.

Attachments

• DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Self sealing silicone tape might do the trick. It is stretchy and when it contacts itself will fuse and produce a water tight seal if it has good contact on clean smooth surfaces. Permatex, Rustoleum, Duck Brand and others make a 1 inch wide product and should be available at home center like Home Depot or Lowes in the US.

Likes TechTree
Just what kind of signal/voltage/current is involved here?

May we know what kind of voltage travels on those wires?

@TechTree informed me that the wires are 230VAC, for carrying power.

I do not believe that installation can comply with local electrical codes for outdoor power.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Likes Averagesupernova

1. How does waterproofing a wire connection work?

Waterproofing a wire connection typically involves sealing the connection to prevent water from entering and causing damage or corrosion. This can be done using various methods such as heat shrink tubing, liquid sealants, or waterproof tape.

2. Why is it important to waterproof wire connections?

Waterproofing wire connections is important because water can cause corrosion, short circuits, and other electrical malfunctions. In outdoor or wet environments, it is especially important to protect wire connections to ensure proper functioning of electrical systems.

3. What types of wires require waterproofing?

Any type of wire that is exposed to moisture or wet environments can benefit from waterproofing. This includes outdoor wiring for lighting or appliances, as well as wiring for boats, cars, and other vehicles.

4. How long does a waterproof wire connection last?

The lifespan of a waterproof wire connection can vary depending on the method and materials used for waterproofing, as well as the environmental conditions. However, if the wire connection is properly sealed and maintained, it can last for many years.

5. Can I waterproof a wire connection myself?

Yes, it is possible to waterproof a wire connection yourself using various methods such as heat shrink tubing, liquid sealants, or waterproof tape. However, it is important to follow proper instructions and ensure a secure and effective seal to prevent any potential electrical hazards.