Exploring Simple Harmonic Motion: A=14cm, ω=3.0Hz

In summary, the conversation discusses simple harmonic motion with given parameters and the relationships between angular frequency, simple frequency, and period. The formula for converting frequency to radians is also mentioned.
negation

Homework Statement

Write a simple harmonic motion with amplitude 14cm , frequency 3.0Hz , and maximum displacement at t=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

y (t) = A cos (ωt) = 14 cos (2πt/T)
Dealing with angular frequency is easy. But deal with natural frequency throws me off course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics doesn't require much memorization compared to other fields of study. But here are a couple of relationships that are exceptions, and you might want to commit them to memory:

[tex] f = \frac{1}{T} [/tex]
[tex] \omega = 2 \pi f [/tex]

Where T is the period, ω is the angular frequency (i.e., radial frequency), and f is the simple frequency (i.e., ordinary frequency). (Some textbooks represent the simple frequency with the Greek letter nu, [itex] \nu [/itex], which looks too much like a 'v' to me, but it's often used anyway. Just be aware of that.)

Likes 1 person
collinsmark said:
Physics doesn't require much memorization compared to other fields of study. But here are a couple of relationships that are exceptions, and you might want to commit them to memory:

[tex] f = \frac{1}{T} [/tex]
[tex] \omega = 2 \pi f [/tex]

Where T is the period, ω is the angular frequency (i.e., radial frequency), and f is the simple frequency (i.e., ordinary frequency). (Some textbooks represent the simple frequency with the Greek letter nu, [itex] \nu [/itex], which looks too much like a 'v' to me, but it's often used anyway. Just be aware of that.)

Thanks. Frequency is the number cycles per second. In order to have it converted to radians, and by definition of one cycle = 2 pi, the product of f and 2pi gives radians s^-1

FAQ: Exploring Simple Harmonic Motion: A=14cm, ω=3.0Hz

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where a system moves back and forth around a stable equilibrium point, with a restoring force proportional to the displacement from that point.

What does A=14cm and ω=3.0Hz mean in the context of simple harmonic motion?

A=14cm represents the amplitude, or maximum displacement, of the system from its equilibrium point. ω=3.0Hz represents the angular frequency, or the number of oscillations per unit time, of the system.

What factors affect the amplitude and frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is affected by the initial displacement and the strength of the restoring force. The frequency is affected by the mass and stiffness of the system.

How is simple harmonic motion related to real-life phenomena?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in many real-life phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, or the motion of a mass-spring system. It can also be used to model the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun.

What are some practical applications of understanding simple harmonic motion?

Understanding simple harmonic motion is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in the design of buildings and bridges, the development of musical instruments, and the study of waves and oscillations in various systems.