1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function

1. Mar 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write a simple harmonic motion with amplitude 14cm , frequency 3.0Hz , and maximum displacement at t=0.

3. The attempt at a solution

y (t) = A cos (ωt) = 14 cos (2πt/T)
    Dealing with angular frequency is easy. But deal with natural frequency throws me off course.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Physics doesn't require much memorization compared to other fields of study. But here are a couple of relationships that are exceptions, and you might want to commit them to memory:

[tex] f = \frac{1}{T} [/tex]
    [tex] \omega = 2 \pi f [/tex]

Where T is the period, ω is the angular frequency (i.e., radial frequency), and f is the simple frequency (i.e., ordinary frequency). (Some textbooks represent the simple frequency with the Greek letter nu, [itex] \nu [/itex], which looks too much like a 'v' to me, but it's often used anyway. Just be aware of that.)

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks. Frequency is the number cycles per second. In order to have it converted to radians, and by definition of one cycle = 2 pi, the product of f and 2pi gives radians s^-1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted