Wave packet: math question. QT(Bohm's book)

In summary, there is a question regarding the integration of the left-hand side of an equation in David Bohm's Quantum Theory. The equation involves a definite integral and the resulting solution is a sine function. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consult a calculus book for further understanding.
knockout_artist
Hello,

In David Bohm,s Quantum Theory, in chapter 3 section 2(motion of pulse of light)
There is this equation, I could not understand how, integrating LHS produced a sin.

Please help.

note:
LHS: k0 +Δk is super script. I did not know how to put it closer to integration sign.

Ex(x)= ∫k0-Δk k0+Δk dkeik(x-x0) = 2 ((sin Δk (x-x0)) / (x-x0)) eik0(x-x0)

Physics news on Phys.org
knockout_artist said:
There is this equation, I could not understand how, integrating LHS produced a sin.

If you could show us how far you did get, we will be better able to help you.

Well.. only thing close enough I could think of was (eik - eik)/2
would make is sin on right hand side.
Then also eik0(x-x0) would also get carried on on the RHS.

knockout_artist said:
Well.. only thing close enough I could think of was (eik - eik)/2
would make is sin on right hand side.

Look at the bounds of the definite integral.

I think I have to look at my calculus book.
I will post if I still have problem.

Thanks for looking at it.

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a mathematical representation of a wave that shows the amplitude and frequency of the wave at a specific point in time and space. It is a localized disturbance that travels through a medium, such as air or water, and carries energy with it.

2. How is a wave packet different from a regular wave?

A regular wave, also known as a sinusoidal wave, has a constant frequency and wavelength. In contrast, a wave packet is made up of multiple different frequencies and wavelengths, giving it a more complex shape. Additionally, a regular wave can travel infinitely, while a wave packet has a finite duration.

3. What is the significance of wave packets in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described as wave packets, which means they exhibit both particle-like and wave-like properties. This helps to explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, where classical mechanics fails to provide an accurate description.

4. How is Bohm's book related to wave packets?

Bohm's book, "Quantum Theory" discusses the quantum theory of wave packets and how they relate to the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It presents a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles as wave packets in quantum systems.

5. Can wave packets be visualized?

Yes, wave packets can be visualized using mathematical models and simulations. These visualizations can help to better understand the behavior of particles as wave packets in quantum systems. However, it is important to note that wave packets are a mathematical concept and cannot be directly observed in the physical world.