Calculating Wave Packet Length & Frequency for Radar Transmitter

In summary, a radar transmitter emits pulses of 2.0cm wavelength and .25micros duration to measure the speed of pitched baseballs. The length of the wave packet produced is 75m. The receiver should be tuned for the phase frequency, which is c/.02m, and the minimum bandwidth of the receiver is dw*dt~1, where dt is the duration of the pulse.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

A radar transmitter used to measure the speed of pitched baseballs emits pulses of 2.0cm wavelength that are .25micros in duration.
(a) what is the length of the wave packet produced?
(b)to what frequency should the receiver be tuned?
(c) What must be the minimum bandwidth of the receiver

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have (a) right: Length of the wave packet is the time of the pulse times the speed of the wave.
L=c*t = 75m.

(b) This is what I'm not sure on. Must the receiver be tuned for the group frequency or the phase frequency? If I'm thinking about this right, these pulses should make beats.

The group frequency will be: 1/(.25micros), right? This is the frequency of the modulation wave.

The phase frequency would be c/.02m, right? This is the frequency of the wave 'inside' the modulation wave.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the problem?

(c) The bandwidth, if I am not mistaken is dw, (spread of angular frequency).
dw*dt~1
Would dt here just be the .25micros?

If anyone could tell me if I am doing this right and help me out, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
(b) The receiver is tuned for phase frequency.

(c) Correct -- might be an extra factor of pi or 2*pi, I'm not sure about the exact relation.

thank you for the help

1. How do you calculate the wave packet length for radar transmitter?

The wave packet length for radar transmitter can be calculated by dividing the speed of light (c) by the frequency (f). This can be represented by the formula, λ = c/f, where λ is the wave packet length in meters, c is the speed of light in meters per second, and f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

2. What is the relationship between wave packet length and frequency?

Wave packet length and frequency have an inverse relationship. This means that as the frequency increases, the wave packet length decreases and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the formula, λ = c/f, where λ is the wave packet length, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency.

3. Can wave packet length and frequency be changed in a radar transmitter?

Yes, wave packet length and frequency can be changed in a radar transmitter. This can be achieved by adjusting the parameters of the transmitter, such as the voltage and current, which can change the frequency of the transmitted waves. However, the speed of light is a constant and cannot be changed.

4. How does the wave packet length and frequency affect radar performance?

The wave packet length and frequency play a crucial role in the performance of radar systems. A shorter wave packet length allows for higher resolution and better detection of smaller objects. On the other hand, a lower frequency provides longer range coverage but with lower resolution. The selection of wave packet length and frequency is important in optimizing radar performance for specific applications.

5. What is the importance of calculating the wave packet length and frequency for radar transmitters?

Calculating the wave packet length and frequency is essential in designing and operating effective radar systems. It helps in determining the best parameters for the transmitter to achieve optimal performance. Additionally, it allows for the comparison of different radar systems and their capabilities, aiding in the selection and optimization of radar technology for specific applications.