Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave-Particle Duality

1. Jun 24, 2005 #1
    Does this describe wave particle duality correctly?

'Whether observed or not, a matter's wave particle duality still persist. The wave and matter characteristic cannot be isolated: A matter cannot be a wave sometimes and particle the other times. It must be both at anytime.
    However, when we observed a matter, we can only observed one of the characteristic."

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2005 #2
    unmeasured, between the looks 'it' acts like a wave, whenever measured, you observe a particle respectively the attributes of a particle

4. Jun 24, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The axioms of Quantum Mechanics do not use any of the words "wave" or "particle".The physical system is described by mathematical objects:coordinates and momenta,classical Hamiltonian,angular momentum,etc.

Both "particle" and "wave" are mathematical models.

Daniel.

5. Jun 24, 2005 #4
  6. Jun 24, 2005 #5
    Have you ever seen an interference pattern from a unique electron? If yes please tell me, the energy momentum conservation law is no more valid!

Seratend.

P.S. Please try to use a minimum of the usual physical language in your posts. I have never heard about a mathematical model of clouds in QM. (This is not a meteo forum).

7. Jun 26, 2005 #6
    We are publishing an experimental result which goes in the direction of a geometrical interpretation of quantum mechanic: there is a particle and there is a wave. This result, if confirmed, shows that a particle (electron in our case) has an internal clock frequency in its rest frame nu0=m0c2/h, as conjectured by Louis de Broglie as early as 1924. The paper will be published in a few monthes in “Annales de la Fondation Louis de Broglie”. It can be read on my site http://www.freewebs.com/raphaelzorgue/index.htm .

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?