Wave Problem: Length & Velocity

• Thread starter Turbo Math
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the problem involves a small stone causing 40 circular waves in a lake with a radius of 1.6 meters after 4 seconds. Two different solutions are discussed, but a better approach is to picture the situation and use the given information to find the speed and wavelength of the waves. The correct answers are 0.4 m/s for the speed and 0.04 m for the wavelength.
Turbo Math
[SOLVED] Wave problem

Homework Statement

a small stone fell into alake causing 40 waves after 4 seconeds, if the radius of the outter circle is 1.6 meters, find the length of the occurred wave and its velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i got two different solutions so far cause i couldn't determine what exactly was meant by (r=1.6m & length of the occurred wave):

1- f = 10 Hz

lambda/4 = 1.6
lambda = 6.4 m

v = lambda.f
= 6.4 × 10
= 64 m/s

========================

2- v = x/t

x = 2pi.r
= 10 m

v = 10/4
= 2.5 m/s (oO)

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither approach is good. Instead, picture what's going on. The waves travel outward from the center. The outer radius tells you how far the first wave traveled in the given time. Use that to find the speed of the wave.

Also, you have 40 waves (and thus 40 wavelengths) stretched out over that radius. How big is each wavelength if 40 of them add to the outer radius?

aha! so:

v = 1.6/4
= 0.4 m/s

and...

lambda = 0.4/10
= 25 m

i hope i got at least closer ^^

Turbo Math said:
aha! so:

v = 1.6/4
= 0.4 m/s
Good!

and...

lambda = 0.4/10
= 25 m
Not good. If 40 wavelengths span 1.6 m, how can each wavelength be 25 m?

I don't think i get it :confused:

is it that i reversed the final result 25->0.04 (this happens all the time and its really annoying) or i simply skipped a step that i can't figure?

Turbo Math said:
is it that i reversed the final result 25->0.04 (this happens all the time and its really annoying) or i simply skipped a step that i can't figure?
That must have been what you did. You wrote .4/10 (which is correct), but you reversed the answer.

What I would have done is this:
40 Wavelengths = 1.6 m
1 Wavelength = (1.6 m)/40 = 0.04 m

I knew it :smile:

the problem was that i haven't known that the wavelengths make out the radius as this is my first encouter with circular waves

anyways thanks a lot Doc Al cya :cool:

1. What is the relationship between the length and velocity of a wave?

The length and velocity of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of a wave decreases, the velocity increases, and vice versa.

2. How is the wavelength of a wave calculated?

The wavelength of a wave can be calculated by dividing the velocity of the wave by its frequency. This can be represented by the formula: wavelength = velocity / frequency.

3. Can the velocity of a wave be changed?

Yes, the velocity of a wave can be changed by altering the medium through which it travels. For example, the velocity of a sound wave can be changed by changing the temperature or density of the medium it travels through.

4. How does the length of a wave affect its energy?

The length of a wave does not directly affect its energy. However, a shorter wavelength may indicate a higher frequency, which can affect the energy of a wave. For electromagnetic waves, shorter wavelengths have higher energy, while for mechanical waves, shorter wavelengths have lower energy.

5. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The wavelength and frequency of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be represented by the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.