Wave Speed Question Homework: Length, Speed & Mass

In summary, a rope under a tension of 200 N and fixed at both ends oscillates in a second-harmonic standing wave pattern with a displacement given by y = (0.10m)(sinPIx/2)sin12PIt. To solve for the length of the rope, the equation 0.10 = 0.10sin(PIx/2) is used, resulting in a length of 1 meter. The formula for wave speed is needed to solve for (b) the speed of the waves on the rope, but it is not specified in the given information. The mass of the rope can be found using the formula m = mu*L, where mu is the mass per unit length and L
blindzero678

Homework Statement

A rope, under a tension of 200 N and fixed at both ends, oscillates in a second-harmonic standing wave pattern. The displacement of the rope is given by

y = (0.10m)(sinPIx/2)sin12PIt

where x = 0 at one end of the rope, x is in meters, and t is in seconds. What are (a) the length of the rope, (b) the speed of the waves on the rope, and (c) the mass of the rope? (d) If the rope oscillates in a third-harmonic standing wave pattern, what will be the period of oscillation?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure...I know how to solve for the length of the rope, but I don't know which formula to use to solve for the wave speed. Although once i find this, I know how to find the mass of the rope and the period in part (d).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you can find the length of the rope by setting

0.10 = 0.10sin(PIx/2)

because the 0.10 m in the original equation will be the amplitude of the wave, and at it's maximum, sin(12PIt) = 1. this gives you x = 1 meter.

But i don't know where to go from here, to get the velocity.

i know f = v/lambda = (nv)/(2L) and that lambda = 2L/n, but you can't use these equations to solve for velocity, because the v cancels out.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a problem with (a). The answer does not depend on the amplitude.

Have you drawn a picture of the rope for the second-harmonic pattern? Do that, and think about how wavelength and rope length are related.

I would first clarify the question and make sure that the units for all the given values are consistent. In this case, the tension is given in newtons, while the displacement is given in meters. I would recommend converting the tension to SI units (kilograms and meters per second squared) to make the calculations more accurate.

To solve for the wave speed, I would use the equation v = fλ, where v is the wave speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. In this case, the frequency can be determined by looking at the argument of the sine function, which is 12πt. This means that the frequency is 12π cycles per second, or hertz. To find the wavelength, we can use the fact that the second-harmonic standing wave has two nodes (points of zero displacement) between the two fixed ends. This means that the wavelength is twice the length of the rope, or 2 meters.

Plugging in the values, we get v = (12π Hz)(2 m) = 24π m/s. This is the speed of the waves on the rope.

To find the mass of the rope, we can use the equation ρ = m/L, where ρ is the linear density (mass per unit length) of the rope, m is the mass, and L is the length. We already know the length of the rope (1 meter), so we just need to find the linear density. To do this, we can use the equation ρ = T/μv^2, where T is the tension, μ is the linear mass density (mass per unit length) of the rope, and v is the wave speed. Plugging in the values, we get ρ = (200 N)/(24π m/s)^2 = 0.0026 kg/m. Multiplying this by the length of the rope, we get a mass of 0.0026 kg.

For part (d), to find the period of oscillation for a third-harmonic standing wave pattern, we can use the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency. In this case, the frequency is 3 times the frequency of the second-harmonic wave, so the period is 1/3 of the period of the second-harmonic wave. Therefore, the period for the third-harmonic wave is (

1. What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) and is calculated by dividing the wavelength by the period.

2. How is wave speed related to wavelength and frequency?

Wave speed is directly proportional to wavelength and frequency. This means that as wavelength or frequency increases, wave speed also increases. The mathematical relationship is given by the equation: wave speed = frequency x wavelength.

3. How does mass affect wave speed?

Mass does not directly affect wave speed. The speed of a wave depends on the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density and elasticity, rather than the mass of the wave itself.

4. How does length affect wave speed?

The length of a wave does not directly affect its speed. However, the medium the wave is traveling through can affect both the length and speed of a wave. For example, in a denser medium, waves may have a shorter wavelength and travel at a slower speed.

5. How can wave speed be calculated?

Wave speed can be calculated using the formula: wave speed = frequency x wavelength. The frequency of a wave can be measured in hertz (Hz) and the wavelength can be measured in meters (m).