1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunction normalisation and expectation values

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See Image, Sorry Its easier for me to attach images than writing all equation on the forum's keyboard! Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 15.53.06.png I only need to check if i'm working it out correctly up to the position expectation value because I don't want to dive in the rest on wrong basis !

2. Relevant equations
    file-1.jpeg

3. The attempt at a solution
    file.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to try some latex. What you have is correct, except that right at the end in the expected value of ##x##, ##\alpha## leapt from the denominator to the numerator.

##\langle x \rangle = \frac{12}{13 \alpha}##

4. Dec 11, 2016 #3
    Yeah still trying to learn latex, anyway, where the question asks to prove momentum expectation value is zero without integrals I get stuck, I got <p^2> = \frac{12/h^2}{13 } which still doesnt make sense to me, the units don't work!

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regarding ##\langle p \rangle## you might like to think about complex numbers and expectation values.

I haven't tried to calculate ##\langle p^2 \rangle## or ##\langle x^2 \rangle##. You just need to be careful with the integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted