Wavelength and size of holes or grating

In summary: At a low enough frequency, the grid looks just like a metal plate (Z=0) and is a perfect reflector.In summary, the size of the hole or grating in a Faraday cage determines whether it is opaque or transparent due to interference patterns in classical physics. The hole acts as a short piece of metallic waveguide and if it is smaller than certain critical dimensions, it will not support wave propagation. Additionally, large holes create surface impedance which reduces the flow of current and resonant slots will radiate as they deflect surface currents. At a low enough frequency, the grid resembles a metal plate and acts as a perfect reflector.
merlyn
Could someone explain to be the reason why size of the hole or grating in the case of Faraday cage is what determines if the screen or grating is opaque or transparent? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with interference patterns in classical physics.

Thank you all in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked for an existing answer online?

Yes. I didn't know how to phrase the question.
I thought I could get a more succinct and definitive answer here.

merlyn said:
Yes. I didn't know how to phrase the question.
I thought I could get a more succinct and definitive answer here.
It's probably best to be more precise about what you don't understand about what you've read.

PeroK said:
It's probably best to be more precise about what you don't understand about what you've read.
I just wanted the basic mechanism explained, or at least a reference.
Should I look under defraction, reflection or perhaps slit experiment ?

merlyn said:
Could someone explain to be the reason why size of the hole or grating in the case of Faraday cage is what determines if the screen or grating is opaque or transparent? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with interference patterns in classical physics.

Thank you all in advanced.
It needs to be somewhat smaller than half a wavelength diameter to block radiation. Not to do with diffraction.

tech99 said:
It needs to be somewhat smaller than half a wavelength diameter to block radiation. Not to do with diffraction.
Wonderful...Why? What are the physics?

The hole behaves as a very short piece of metallic waveguide. If it is smaller than certain critical dimensions it is cut-off and will not support propagation of a wave.
Another way to look at is that large holes create surface impedance which reduces the flow of current in the surface, which is necessary for reflection.
And another way to look at it is that resonant slots will radiate as they deflect surface currents around them.

Likes vanhees71
tech99 said:
The hole behaves as a very short piece of metallic waveguide. If it is smaller than certain critical dimensions it is cut-off and will not support propagation of a wave.
Another way to look at is that large holes create surface impedance which reduces the flow of current in the surface, which is necessary for reflection.
And another way to look at it is that resonant slots will radiate as they deflect surface currents around them.
Do you have any references which I can explore further?

tech99 said:
resonant slots will radiate
Could it be resonance? The effect doesn't have a peak; it's just a high pass function.

One way of looking at it is that the network of conductors changes the Impedance presented to the incident wave. At a low enough frequency, the grid looks just like a metal plate (Z=0) and is a perfect reflector.

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and the size of holes or grating?

The size of holes or grating is directly related to the wavelength of light. As the wavelength of light decreases, the size of holes or grating must also decrease in order to produce the same diffraction pattern. This relationship is described by the diffraction limit, which states that the size of the diffracting element must be on the same order as the wavelength of light in order to produce a diffraction pattern.

2. How does the size of holes or grating affect the diffraction pattern?

The size of holes or grating has a significant impact on the diffraction pattern. Smaller holes or grating will produce a diffraction pattern with more closely spaced fringes, while larger holes or grating will produce a diffraction pattern with more widely spaced fringes. Additionally, smaller holes or grating will produce a more intense diffraction pattern, while larger holes or grating will produce a less intense diffraction pattern.

3. What is the significance of the wavelength and size of holes or grating in spectroscopy?

The wavelength and size of holes or grating are crucial in spectroscopy as they determine the resolution and accuracy of the measurements. A smaller wavelength and smaller holes or grating will result in a higher resolution, allowing for the detection of smaller variations in the light spectrum. Additionally, the size of holes or grating can be adjusted to select specific wavelengths of light, making it an important tool in studying the composition of materials.

4. How do you determine the optimal size of holes or grating for a particular experiment?

The optimal size of holes or grating for a specific experiment depends on the desired resolution and the wavelength of light being used. In general, the smaller the wavelength, the smaller the size of holes or grating should be. Additionally, the size of holes or grating can be adjusted to optimize the intensity of the diffraction pattern. Careful experimentation and analysis can help determine the optimal size for a specific experiment.

5. Can the size of holes or grating be manipulated to produce specific diffraction patterns?

Yes, the size of holes or grating can be manipulated to produce specific diffraction patterns. By adjusting the size and spacing of the holes or grating, scientists can control the intensity and spacing of the diffraction pattern. This allows for the selection of specific wavelengths of light and the enhancement of certain features in the diffraction pattern, making it a useful tool in various scientific applications such as spectroscopy and microscopy.