1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength, Frequency, & Speed of Light in Different Media

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of light from a monochromatic laser shines into a piece of glass. The glass has thickness L and index of refraction n=1.5. The wavelength of the laser light in vacuum is L/10 and its frequency is f. In this problem, neither the constant c nor its numerical value should appear in any of your answers

How long does it take for a short pulse of light to travel from one end of the glass to the other?
    Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables f and L. Use the numeric value given for in the introduction.

2. Relevant equations

c = [tex]\lambda[/tex] * f
    f = 1/t
    n = c/v

3. The attempt at a solution

t = 15/f

i know this answer is correct, but I still cannot come up with how the correct answer was derived.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The speed in the glass is c/n = c/1.5
    The time through the glass is distance/speed = L / (c/1.5)
    Since you know c = [tex]\lambda[/tex] * f, you simple have to rearrange the equation subsituting for c.
  4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    thanks you. i will begin working out the substitution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?