Wavelength of light and interference pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a diffraction grating to determine the wavelength of light. The interference pattern on the screen is shown and measurements of y1 and y2 are provided. The equation used for a single slit diffraction grating is mentioned and the individual's attempt at solving it is shared. However, they encounter some difficulties and seek further clarification. Advice is given to use the equations specific to a diffraction grating and to be cautious of using approximations for large angles. A helpful resource for understanding the equations is also shared. Ultimately, the individual is able to obtain the correct answer by using the equation y = ((lambda)*(L)) / d.
abeltyukov

Homework Statement

The interference pattern on a screen 1.2 m behind a 710 line/mm diffraction grating is shown in Figure P22.45 (http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/p22-45alt.gif ), in which y1 = 52.3 cm and y2 = 107.6 cm. What is the wavelength of the light?

2. The attempt at a solution

I believe that is a single slit diffraction grating. Thus the equation is a*sin(theta) = m(lambda), right? I then have sin(theta) = y/L Where do I go from there?

I tried having two equations (one for y1 and one for y2) and setting them equal to one another by setting them individually equal to a. But that did not get me the right answer.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show more of your calculation?

Last edited:
hage567 said:
Can you show more of your calculation?

I had:

a*(y1 / L) = m1*lambda
a*(y2 / L) = m2*lambda

(lambda*L) / y1 = (2*lambda*L) / y2

lambda = [(y2)(L)] / [(y1)(L)]

Is that right?

Thanks!

y2 is not the total distance to the second maximum from the centre, it is the distance between the first order and second order maxima. Also, be careful of the approximation of sin(theta) = y/L. That doesn't work when the angle gets too large. So that is something to consider.

hage567 said:
y2 is not the total distance to the second maximum from the centre, it is the distance between the first order and second order maxima. Also, be careful of the approximation of sin(theta) = y/L. That doesn't work when the angle gets too large. So that is something to consider.

So should y2 be y2 + y1? I am still a bit confused.

Thanks!

This experiment uses a diffraction grating, and you need to use the equations for that. You should focus on the first (closest to center) maxima. As hage567 has mentioned, the equations are only approximations based on the fact that (sin x = x) for small values of x. If you are using large angles, then your equations will not be accurate.

This page has a good geometric explanation for the equation you mentioned.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/gratcal.html

mezarashi said:
This experiment uses a diffraction grating, and you need to use the equations for that. You should focus on the first (closest to center) maxima. As hage567 has mentioned, the equations are only approximations based on the fact that (sin x = x) for small values of x. If you are using large angles, then your equations will not be accurate.

This page has a good geometric explanation for the equation you mentioned.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/gratcal.html

Thanks! I got the right answer but am still not sure why. Here's what I did:

y = ((lambda)*(L)) / d

((0.523 * 1.408E-6) / 1.2) - (1.076E-7 - 0.523E-7) = 558.5 nm.

Thanks!

1. What is the relationship between wavelength of light and interference pattern?

The wavelength of light is directly related to the spacing of interference fringes in an interference pattern. As the wavelength increases, the spacing between fringes also increases. Conversely, as the wavelength decreases, the spacing between fringes decreases. This is known as the "wavelength-spacing" relationship.

2. How does the wavelength of light affect the color of an interference pattern?

The wavelength of light determines the color of an interference pattern. This is because different wavelengths of light correspond to different colors in the visible spectrum. For example, red light has a longer wavelength than blue light, and therefore, red fringes will appear farther apart than blue fringes in an interference pattern.

3. Can the wavelength of light be changed in an interference pattern?

Yes, the wavelength of light can be changed in an interference pattern by using different light sources or by manipulating the light using devices such as diffraction gratings or prisms. This allows for the creation of interference patterns with different colors or spacing of fringes.

4. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in an interference pattern?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same wavelength and in phase with each other overlap, resulting in a larger amplitude or brighter fringe. Destructive interference occurs when two waves of the same wavelength and out of phase with each other overlap, resulting in a smaller amplitude or darker fringe.

5. How is the wavelength of light measured in an interference pattern?

The wavelength of light can be measured in an interference pattern by using a ruler or caliper to measure the distance between fringes. This distance can then be compared to the known wavelength-spacing relationship to determine the approximate wavelength of the light source. More precise measurements can be made using specialized equipment such as a spectrometer.