Waves in a one dimensional box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a one dimensional box and a wave equation that may have a mistake in its formulation. The speaker suggests considering the equation 1/c^2 * d^2Psi/dt^2 - d^2Psi/dx^2 = 0 and plugging in a solution to see if it matches up with the problem. They also suggest informing the instructor of a possible error in the equation.
Sorgen
8475095528_158b1789f3_b.jpg

Alright so I'm clueless. I've read the chapter and the concept of a one dimensional box is never mentioned before this problem. I'm thinking i have to integrate some stuff but i have no idea where to begin.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about the box. You could just as well think of it as a vibrating string with the ends fixed.

Hello Sorgen,

I'm not sure what kind of class this is for, but if it is a class that does not require knowledge of differential equations as a prerequisite (or is not a differential equations class itself), the desired solution just might be taking one equation and plugging it into the other, and making sure everything is consistent with the third. That's my speculation anyway.

That said, something is awry with the problem statement.

[tex] \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} = 0[/tex]
is not dimensionally correct.

Are you sure it's not a mistake in the coursework, and the c shouldn't be squared, making it something like,

[tex] \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} = 0?[/tex]

[Edit: Hint. Although I phrased that last part as a question, treat it rhetorically. I'm pretty certain that the 1/c should be 1/c2. Use [itex] \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} = 0[/itex] as the wave equation. Plug [itex] \Psi(x,t) = a(t) \sin \left( \frac{n \pi x}{L} \right) [/itex] into that and see what you get, and check that it matches up with the rest of the problem. Also, inform your instructor of the 1/c vs. 1/c2 error.]

Last edited:

1. What is a one dimensional box?

A one dimensional box is an imaginary container that is used to represent the boundaries of a physical system in which particles can move. It is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined to a specific region.

2. How do waves behave in a one dimensional box?

In a one dimensional box, waves behave similarly to particles in that they are confined to the boundaries of the box. This results in the formation of standing waves, where the wave amplitude is constant at specific points within the box.

3. What is the significance of the size of the one dimensional box?

The size of the one dimensional box is significant because it affects the possible energy states and wavelengths of the waves within it. A larger box allows for more energy states and longer wavelengths, while a smaller box restricts the possible energy states and results in shorter wavelengths.

4. How does the energy of the waves correspond to the size of the one dimensional box?

The energy of the waves in a one dimensional box is directly proportional to the size of the box. This means that as the size of the box increases, the energy levels of the waves also increase.

5. Can waves in a one dimensional box have multiple nodes?

Yes, waves in a one dimensional box can have multiple nodes, depending on the energy level and wavelength of the wave. The number of nodes is determined by the wavelength of the wave, with longer wavelengths resulting in more nodes.