Waves & Sound: How deep is your well?

• Thread starter internetimothy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound Waves
In summary, the problem is to find the depth of a well when a stone is dropped down and the sound of it splashing into the water is heard 16 seconds later. The temperature in the well is 10 degrees celsius. The solution involves using kinematics equations and setting them equal to each other. The final equation should be in the form of a quadratic, which can then be solved using the quadratic formula. The correct answer will depend on the specific values used in the equations.
internetimothy
I'm working on a problem for my Grade 11 class.

A stone is dropped down a well, and, 16 seconds later, the sound of it splashing into the water is heard by people at ground level. The temperature in the well is 10 degress celsius.

I'm asked to find the depth of the well. So, what I've done so far is this...

I've said the change in time for the falling rock will be 'y' and the change in time for the sound traveling back up will be '16 - y'. The distance from the top of the well to the point of impact (source of the sound) is 'x'. Given negligible air resistance and whatnot, a = g. The speed of the sound returning up the well will be 332 m/s + 0.6 (10 degrees C), or 338 m/s.

I've taken my kinematics equations, and said that, for the falling rock, x = 1/2gy^2, and for the sound traveling up, x = 338 m/s * (16-y). I've set the two equal, but I can't do anything past this point. For some reason, I can't remember the algebraic ... uh, stuff.. that I'd need to do this. I'm thinking I should convert what I have to a quadratic (a + b -c = 0?) and then use the quadratic equation, but I can't remember how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1/2*9.8*y^2 = 338(16-y) is what you have. Converting to ay^2 + by + c = 0 shouldn't be too bad: Just distribute the 338 on the right hand side and subtract it over to the left hand side.

Looks like you have done the hard part correctly, this getting the correct relationships. I am surprised that you can't finish the simple algebra!
You have:
[tex] x = \frac {gy^2} 2 = v_s ( 16-y) [/tex]
( vs is the speed of sound )
so now all you need do is assemble the pieces to get the standard from of a quadratic.
First distribute vs across the RHS (Right Hand Side)

[tex] x = \frac {gy^2} 2 = v_s 16- v_s y [/tex]
Now add
[tex]x = -(v_s 16-v_s y) [/tex]

to each side, to get,

[tex] \frac {gy^2} 2 + v_s y - 16 v_s = 0 [/tex]

Now for a refresher

if you have a quadratic

[tex] ax^2 + bx +c =0 [/tex]
The roots are:

[tex] x = \frac { -b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4 ac}} 2a[/tex]

Can you complete your problem now?

Mmm..awesome. Yeah, I can do this now. Thanks!

just to be clear once you have the change in time for the falling rock you can the put that time into d= at^2/2 correct? just for future reference, what is the correct answer?

Integral said:
The roots are:

[tex] x = \frac { -b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4 ac}} 2a[/tex]

Just to avoid any confusion, I believe you meant the a to be in the denominator as well.

Last edited:
Sirus,

As you well know you are correct! Unfortunately, it is now to late to fix the error so it must stay as is.

FAQ: Waves & Sound: How deep is your well?

1. What is the relationship between the depth of a well and the sound produced by dropping an object into it?

The depth of a well affects the sound produced by dropping an object into it by changing the time it takes for the sound to bounce back to the surface. The deeper the well, the longer it takes for the sound to reach the surface, resulting in a longer echo.

2. How does the speed of sound change in a deep well compared to on the surface?

The speed of sound remains constant in a deep well compared to on the surface. However, the sound may appear to travel slower due to the increased distance it has to travel before reaching the surface.

3. Does the size of the well affect the sound produced by dropping an object into it?

The size of the well does not have a direct effect on the sound produced by dropping an object into it. However, a larger well may produce a louder sound due to the increased volume of air or water it contains.

4. How can the depth of a well be measured using sound?

The depth of a well can be measured using sound by dropping an object into the well and measuring the time it takes for the sound to reach the surface. This time can then be used in a formula to calculate the depth of the well.

5. How do different materials used for well construction affect the sound produced by dropping an object into it?

The material used for well construction can affect the sound produced by dropping an object into it by either amplifying or dampening the sound. For example, a metal well may produce a louder sound compared to a well made of wood or stone.