WEBASSIGN DUE at 12:00 in the afternoon today HELP

• Thread starter xX1SHOt
  • Start date
In summary, the student is attempting to solve a problem for a due assignment that they were not given any notes on. They are looking for information on error propagation.
xX1SHOt

Homework Statement

I have a problem that is urgent and due at 12 afternoon today. I will give you the problem and i don't know if you will get it or not in time. It deals with uncertainties in mass and volume to create a specific density with a new uncertainty. Here is the problem:

The radius of a solid sphere is measured to be (6.30 +or- 0.25 ) cm, and its mass is measured to be (1.80 +or- 0.01) kg. Determine the density of the sphere in kilograms per cubic meter and the uncertainty in the density. (Use the correct number of significant figures.)(4 for both answer and uncertainty)

([4sigfigs]_________ +or- [4sigfigs]_______) kg/m^3 note the change from cm to m

i have the first part correct with the exact first answer being 1718 kg/m^3 but entering 1.720 b/c of the multiplication.

Homework Equations

already know how to do the first part.

The Attempt at a Solution

have no idea what to do considering the cubing of the converted m from cm and how to deal with the mass as well

sorry if it was brief but i was in a hurry and I am sure everyone can do the first part i just need to know the steps to the error bounds

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

How do you normally account for errors when dividing two quantities?

well normally i would add them together but what do i do with the cubed and how do i account for it

xX1SHOt said:
well normally i would add them together but what do i do with the cubed and how do i account for it
Yes but how do you add them? You can't simply take their sum ...

do (4/3)*pi*(.0025)^3 then add the .01

Please just tell me the steps for this time i want to learn it but it is due in 20 minutes.
Please just write out the steps and then i can figure it out hopefully for now

xX1SHOt said:
do (4/3)*pi*(.0025)^3 then add the .01
I'm afraid that that's not right, in fact it's not even close. Have you been given any notes on error propagation? Now might be a good time to look through them.
xX1SHOt said:
Please just tell me the steps for this time i want to learn it but it is due in 20 minutes.
Please just write out the steps and then i can figure it out hopefully for now
That's not the way it works here. We don't do people's work for them.

ive looked at a lot of stuff on the internet and no there were no notes in class and it is not described in this application in the book, but thanks for trying to help for now anyway, ill post later after my class to actually understand how this works

xX1SHOt said:
ive looked at a lot of stuff on the internet and no there were no notes in class and it is not described in this application in the book, but thanks for trying to help for now anyway, ill post later after my class to actually understand how this works
I think it's a little unfair to set an assignment if you haven't been given any notes on the topic. Here's a decent set of notes: http://hug.phys.huji.ac.il/PHYS_HUG/MAABADA/mitkademet_a/errors.pdf . However, only the section on independent variables is relevant for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is WebAssign and why do I have to complete it?

WebAssign is an online homework and assessment tool used by many educational institutions. It allows students to complete assignments and quizzes electronically, providing immediate feedback and tracking progress. Completing WebAssign helps students practice and reinforce important concepts learned in class.

2. How do I access WebAssign and submit my assignment?

To access WebAssign, you will need to log in with your school-provided username and password. Once logged in, you can navigate to the assignment and complete it online. Be sure to save your work as you go and submit before the due date and time.

3. What happens if I miss the deadline for WebAssign?

If you miss the deadline for WebAssign, your assignment will be marked as late and may receive a penalty or lower grade. It is important to complete assignments on time to stay on track with the course material and to avoid any penalties.

4. Can I get help with my WebAssign assignment?

Yes, there are several resources available to help with your WebAssign assignment. You can reach out to your instructor or TA for assistance, attend office hours or review sessions, or use the online help and tutorials provided by WebAssign.

5. Is WebAssign the only online platform used for assignments?

No, there are many other online platforms that may be used for assignments depending on your school or instructor. Some examples include Canvas, Blackboard, and Moodle. It is important to check with your instructor to see which platform is being used for your course.