What is the weight of an astronaut before lift off in kilograms?

In summary: To find weight, we need to use the formula w = mg, where w is weight in newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2. Since the mass is given as 50 kg, we can simply multiply it by the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. Therefore, the astronaut's weight before lift off is 490 newtons.For (B), we can use the same formula, but this time we need to find the weight when the astronaut is 6400 km above the Earth's surface. We know that the weight will be one quarter of what it was on Earth, so we can set up the following
Destiny153

Homework Statement

so in my physics class, we are learning about the 3 laws of motion and all that jazz bla bla bla, i get all that stuff, just not the stuff where it comes to math. i suck at math! so we had homework, no duh, and well I am stuck, can i please have some help! anyone??

hear is the problem:

An astronaut has a mass of 50 kg.

A.) how much does she weigh before lift off?
B.) when her space vehicle is 6400 Km. above the Earth's suface, she will weigh one quarter of what she weighed on earth. what does she weigh at this point?

Homework Equations

so there you are, ps i know this formula but i don't understand it. Fnet = ma

net force= mass times acceleration? righ?

The Attempt at a Solution

for (A.) i think that it is 50kg, because Weight is proportional to mass; equal masses at the same location in a gravitational field will have equal weights

Physics news on Phys.org
Destiny153 said:
for (A.) i think that it is 50kg, because Weight is proportional to mass; equal masses at the same location in a gravitational field will have equal weights
Proportional is not equal.

What's the definition of weight you learned in your course?

Weight: the force of gravity on the object and may be defined as the mass times the acceleration of gravity, w = mg

So, what's the answer to (A) ? Kilograms is a unit of mass, not weight.

. So, an astronaut's weight before lift off would be equal to their mass, which in this case is 50 kg.

For (B.), we need to use the formula W=mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. We know that on Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. So, on Earth, the astronaut's weight would be W=50kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 490 N.

When the astronaut is 6400 km above the Earth's surface, the acceleration due to gravity decreases to approximately 3.2 m/s^2. So, using the same formula, the astronaut's weight at this point would be W=50kg * 3.2 m/s^2 = 160 N. This is one quarter of the weight on Earth, as stated in the problem.

1. What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object, while force is a measure of the interaction between two objects. Weight is always directed towards the center of the Earth, while force can act in any direction.

2. How is weight measured?

Weight is typically measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds, and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

3. Can weight and mass be used interchangeably?

No, weight and mass are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force acting on an object due to gravity. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

4. How does a change in force affect weight?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. Therefore, a change in force will result in a change in the acceleration of an object, which in turn will affect its weight.

5. Can weight be negative?

No, weight cannot be negative. Because weight is a measure of the force of gravity, it is always positive. However, an object's weight can be zero if it is in a state of free-fall or if it is in outer space where there is no gravity.