Understanding Energy Conservation in a Hanging Spring System

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy conservation and equilibrium of forces to find the displacement of a mass hanging on a vertical spring with spring constant k. However, it is noted that energy conservation cannot be used if there are no initial conditions given. In this case, the displacement can be found by using the equilibrium of forces equation, ∑F = 0. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the initial conditions needed to apply energy conservation.
divineyang

Homework Statement

Scenario: A block of mass m hanging on the end of a vertical spring with spring constant k

Homework Equations

When the spring has come to rest:

Vertical eqm: weight = force exerted by spring
mg = kx

Energy conservation: loss in GPE = gain in EPE of spring
mgx = 0.5*kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

canceling x on both sides of the energy conservation equation will give me mg = 0.5*kx, which does not tally with the equation of vertical equilibrium. Why is this so?

Is there a problem with my understanding of energy conservation?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi divineyang! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
divineyang said:
When the spring has come to rest:

Vertical eqm: weight = force exerted by spring
mg = kx

Energy conservation: loss in GPE = gain in EPE of spring
mgx = 0.5*kx^2

canceling x on both sides of the energy conservation equation will give me mg = 0.5*kx, which does not tally with the equation of vertical equilibrium. Why is this so?

Is there a problem with my understanding of energy conservation?

yes, you've lost your bounce! :biggrin:

if there's conservation of energy, then the weight will go speeding past the equilibrium position, and bounce happily up and down for ever and ever! o:)

(and zero speed doesn't mean zero acceleration! :smile:)

so I cannot use the energy conservation approach to find the displacement of the mass? other than equilibrium of forces, how else can I find the value of x?

what exactly is the original question? :confused:

i want to find the extension, x of a spring with spring constant k with a mass of m hanging on its end..

Express x in terms of k, m and g.

I want to know why its possible to derive an expression for x by using energy.

divineyang said:
i want to find the extension, x of a spring with spring constant k with a mass of m hanging on its end..

Express x in terms of k, m and g.

but what are the initial conditions? :confused:

if you want to use conservation (of anything), you need a before and an after …

if the question gives you an equilibrium position, but no initial position, then there's nothing to conserve, is there? :redface:

(and then you simply use ∑F = 0)

oh there arent any initial conditions haha. i understand now, thanks so much!

1. What is weight hanging on a spring?

Weight hanging on a spring is a simple physics experiment that demonstrates the relationship between weight and the extension of a spring. It involves hanging a weight from a spring and measuring the extension of the spring.

2. How does weight affect the extension of a spring?

The extension of a spring is directly proportional to the weight hanging on it. This means that as the weight increases, the spring will stretch further.

3. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is a constant value for a specific spring. It is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the amount of extension.

4. How does the length of the spring affect the experiment?

The length of the spring will affect the experiment by changing the spring constant. A longer spring will have a lower spring constant, meaning it will stretch more for a given weight compared to a shorter spring with a higher spring constant.

5. What are the real-life applications of weight hanging on a spring?

The concept of weight hanging on a spring is used in many real-life applications, such as in car suspension systems, weighing scales, and shock absorbers. It is also used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and pogo sticks, to provide bouncing motion.