Calculating Tension in an Elevator Cable During Upward Acceleration

In summary, the tension in the steel cable supporting an elevator weighing 2.00 x 105 N and accelerating upward at a rate of 3.00 m/s2 is approximately 61162.1N. This can be calculated by finding the net force acting on the elevator using the equation weight = mass x acceleration, and then taking into account the forces acting on the elevator such as the weight of the cable itself. However, due to the varying tension in the cable, there is not a specific equation designed for tension in this scenario.
alwysnforevr002
An elevator weighing 2.00 x 105 N is supported by a steel cable. What is the tension in the cable when the elevator is accelerated upward at a rate of 3.00 m/s2? (g = 9.81 m/s2)

for this equation i think i may have found the answer but i am really not sure. I do not know if there is an equation for tension. Here is what i thought:

Weight = mass x acceleration
mass = weight in N divided by gravity
2 x 10(to the fifth) / 9.81 m/s
= 20387.4 x 3
=61162.1N

Also what i don't understand is if their is an equation specifically designed for Tension

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free-body diagram. What are the forces acting on the elevator? What you've calculated is the net force acting on the elevator, not the one due to the cable.

In this case, there aren't any equations "designed" for tension. Just consider the tension to be 'T'.

well the tension varies in the cable. it would be a very complex equation i would think. as the elevator goes up, more weight (the weight of the cable) goes over a drive sheave and hangs down on the other (counterweight) side of that drive sheave. if you neglect the weight of the cable itself i would imagine you could add the upward acceleration to g, calculate the new g force (somewhere in the order of 1.3g) and multiply the original mass by that figure. the tension would still vary in the cable but you can at least find out the weight it is now supporting.

ps. I'm an elevator constructor so i had to jump on this question, although I'm sure someone more qualified in physics can be of more help

edit to say: the practical accelerations of modern elevators don't exceed 1.5m/s^2
More than that and you might need those air sickness bags! :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for weight?

The formula for weight is Weight = mass x acceleration. This means that the weight of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is weight different from mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but they have different meanings in physics. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force exerted by gravity on that object.

3. Why is acceleration included in the formula for weight?

Acceleration is included in the formula for weight because the weight of an object is dependent on the acceleration due to gravity. This means that the same object will have a different weight on different planets with varying levels of gravity.

4. Is weight a constant value?

No, weight is not a constant value. It can change depending on the location and the strength of gravity. For example, an object will weigh less on the moon than on Earth due to the moon's weaker gravitational pull.

5. What are the units of measurement for weight?

The standard unit of measurement for weight is the Newton (N). However, weight can also be measured in other units such as pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg) depending on the system of measurement being used.