How Is a Pilot's Apparent Weight Calculated During a Vertical Dive Pullout?

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum radius of a circle that a 50.0kg stunt pilot must make in order to avoid exceeding 3.00 g of acceleration when pulling out of a dive at a speed of 95.0m/s. The correct answer is 307m. The pilot's apparent weight at the lowest point of the pullout can be found by using the equation F = ma = m(v^2)/r and taking into account Earth's gravity, resulting in a weight of 1469.9N.
raiderIV

Homework Statement

A 50.0kg stunt pilot who has been diving her airplane vertically pulls out of the dive by changing her course to a circle in a vertical plane.

If the plane's speed at the lowest point of the circle is 95.0m/s, what should the minimum radius of the circle be in order for the acceleration at this point not to exceed 3.00 g?
Correct Answer for that was 307m

Question i need help on is:
What is the apparent weight(in Newtons) of the pilot at the lowest point of the pullout?

Homework Equations

W = mg
g=v^2/r
1g = 9.81

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the easy solution would be to find the weight at 3g's so:
50*3*9.81 = 1471.5

Wasn't accepted as correct answer so i decided to solve it like:
F = ma = m(v^2)/r
50*(95^2)/307 = 1469.9

Also, not taken as the correct answer.

Please let me know what I am missing here
Thanks,
~John

Physics news on Phys.org
the acceleration of the plane is 3g, but did Earth's gravity turn off?

flatmaster said:
the acceleration of the plane is 3g, but did Earth's gravity turn off?

Ok ok! Its ok everyone! I turned the gravity back on! ^_^

Thank you for the help. I didnt think to add that in there and it worked beautifully
~John

1. What is weight on a vertical curve?

The weight on a vertical curve refers to the force exerted by an object due to gravity, acting perpendicular to the curve's surface.

2. How is weight on a vertical curve calculated?

Weight on a vertical curve is calculated using the formula W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors affect weight on a vertical curve?

The weight on a vertical curve is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of the curve.

4. How does weight on a vertical curve affect vehicles?

The weight on a vertical curve can impact the stability and control of a vehicle, especially when driving at high speeds. It can also affect the amount of force needed to slow down or accelerate on the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding weight on a vertical curve?

Understanding weight on a vertical curve is crucial in designing safe and efficient roads, bridges, and other structures. It is also important in the construction of roller coasters, amusement park rides, and other attractions that involve vertical curves.