Weight percent of element to give specific density for alloy

In summary, the aircraft industry has developed aluminium-lithium alloys in an effort to reduce weight and improve aircraft performance. A commercial aircraft skin material with a density of 2.47 g/cm3 is desired. To achieve this, the alloys must have a mass of 2.7wt% Li.
physicsnnewbie

Homework Statement

Aluminium-Lithium alloys have been developed by the aircraft industry to reduce the weight and improve the performance of its aircraft. A commercial aircraft skin material having a density of 2.47 g/cm3 is desired. Compute the concentration of Li (in wt%) that is required.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the atoms/cm3 for both aluminium and Lithium, but I'm not sure how to relate them seeing as the question doesn't give an amount/quantity of either element. I assume there is an equation or something I should use but I can't think of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to assume that volumes are additivie. Imagine you have melted 1 mL of lithium with 1 mL of aluminum. Assume the volume of the alloy is 2 mL. What is its mass? What is its density? Do you see how it is related to the original question?

Question is flawed, as volumes are not additive, but that's another story.

Thanks, but I'm still not quite getting it. After adding the densities and dividing the wanted density by this amount I know it needs to be 1.617e+0 times more dense, but i still don't understand how to work this out. Obviously I have to increase the ratio of Al/Li but I'm not quite sure how i do this.

You may try with two equations - let VLi be volume of lithium, VAl be volume of aluminum used. Express total volume and density of alloy in terms of these two unknowns (that will give you two equations). Then solve. Assume total volume to be 2 or 7 or whatever, just give it some number value.

It can be also done using volume fractions and in many other ways, but the one I have described is probably the most intuitive one.

Last edited:
I think you might have to spell this one out for me Borek, I can't seem to get my head around it. I know you pretty much already have but it still isn't registering.

If you mix VLi and VAl of both metals - what will be total mass of the mixture?

Assuming VLi + VAl = 2, what will be the density of the mixture?

Do you see two equations in two unknowns?

Sorry, i just can't see it. It is probably really simple, but i can't figure it out.

You should know densities of lithium and aluminum.

What is mass of 1 mL of aluminum?

What is mass of VAl milliliters of aluminum? (hint: use density definition)

Do the same for VLi milliliters of lithium.

Now you should know both masses and you know both volumes.

What is total mass?

What is total volume?

Knowing mass of the alloy and volume of the alloy, use density definition to calculate alloy density.

Go back to my previous post now.

Ok, mass Al = 2.7VAl
mass Li = .543VLi

VAl + VLi = 2
VAl = 2-VLi
VLi = 2-VAl

2.7(2-VLi) + .534(2-VAl) = 4.94

1.528 = 2.7VLi + .534VAl

I can then substitute VLi for 2-VAl and solve for VAl. I can then calculate VLi and subsequently calculate masses and weight percents of both.

= 2.3wt% Li

I think my problem was not seeing the big picture. E.g. work out both volumes and masses in terms of volumes first, and then incorporate them BOTH into the main equation.

Thanks for your patience :).

Last edited:

What is the definition of weight percent of element?

Weight percent of element is a measurement of the amount of a particular element in a given alloy, expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the alloy. It is used to determine the composition of alloys and can be calculated by dividing the weight of the element by the total weight of the alloy and multiplying by 100.

How is weight percent of element used to determine the specific density of an alloy?

Weight percent of element is used in conjunction with the density of the individual elements in the alloy to calculate the specific density of the alloy. This is done by multiplying the weight percent of each element by its density and then adding the results together.

What is the relationship between weight percent of element and specific density?

Weight percent of element and specific density are directly related. The higher the weight percent of a particular element in an alloy, the higher the specific density of that alloy will be. This is because the more of that element present, the more it contributes to the overall density of the alloy.

How is weight percent of element measured in an alloy?

Weight percent of element can be measured in an alloy through various methods such as spectroscopy or chemical analysis. These methods involve breaking down the alloy and separating the individual elements for measurement.

Why is knowing the weight percent of element important in alloy composition?

Knowing the weight percent of element is important in alloy composition because it allows for the precise control of the properties and characteristics of the alloy. Different elements can have a significant impact on the strength, durability, and other properties of an alloy, so understanding their proportions is crucial in creating alloys with specific desired properties.