Calculating Tension: Pulley System with Different Masses | PhysicsForums

• Thread starter botab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, a question is posed about determining the tension in a cord with two masses attached to a suspended pulley. The masses are 1.2 kg and 3.2 kg, and the acceleration is not needed for the solution. There is a net force and the system is accelerating. The tension on one side would equal the weight and the tension on the other would equal the weight if the system was at a constant speed. The final tension is determined to be 17.12N for the pulley carrying the string and weight.
botab
Hello PhysicsForums

I need help with a certain question which has been bugging me for a while.

a pulley is suspended by a cord with two masses attached. one mass is 1.2 kg. the second mass is 3.2 kg. the two masses are attached on different sides.

the question: determine the tension in this cord after the masses are released and before one hits the ground. ignore the mass of the pulley and cords.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Draw a force diagram for each of the weights.

The heavier one will be showing a Tension and a net force from the weight greater than the tension. The opposite will be true for the lighter one.

From your 2 equations Tension must be the same. Solve for acceleration and plug back into one of the equations.

Thank you for replying, but the thing is for this question i don't think the acceleration is needed.. because were trying to find C is attached to the wall and the pulley. Then I thought of Fnet = t-mg and since Fnet = ma which has no acceleration. So I figure it would be 4.4*9.8 but I was wrong.. here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
But there is a net force. 3.2 - 1.2 masses create a net force.

The system is accelerating.

If it was constant speed, the tension on one side would equal the weight and the tension on the other would equal that weight.

ok thanks again ... I figured for 17.12N for tension ... and what I am now suppose to do now? Do I make basically sum up what I know that Fnet = mg-t? where mg is (3.2+1.2)(9.8) and Fnet is is (3.2+1.2)(4.45)?

I thought tension was what you were solving for?

we are solving tension, but its not the tension of the string with the weights on it. we are solving the tension of the pulley carrying the string& weight. I believe i sent an image on post#3. Does this change how the concept of how we are solving it?

What is the purpose of using weights and tension in scientific experiments?

Weights and tension are often used in scientific experiments to create controlled forces and measure the response of a system. This allows researchers to study the effects of different forces on objects, materials, or structures.

How do weights and tension affect the outcome of an experiment?

The use of weights and tension can impact the outcome of an experiment by influencing the behavior or properties of the materials being tested. For example, adding weights to a structure can cause it to deform or break, revealing its strength or weaknesses. Tension can also be used to stretch materials and observe how they respond to different levels of strain.

What types of experiments commonly use weights and tension?

Weights and tension are used in a wide range of experiments, including those in physics, engineering, and materials science. They may be used to study the strength of different materials, investigate the properties of fluids, or analyze the behavior of structures under different loads.

How do scientists ensure accurate measurements when using weights and tension?

To ensure accurate measurements, scientists must carefully calibrate and use precise instruments to apply weights and tension. They may also repeat experiments multiple times and take the average of their results to reduce errors and increase reliability.

What are some safety precautions to consider when using weights and tension in experiments?

When using weights and tension in experiments, it is important to follow proper safety protocols to prevent accidents or injuries. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, securing weights and equipment properly, and using caution when applying high levels of tension. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the potential hazards and risks associated with using weights and tension in experiments.