Welcome to PF 3.5: New Style, Image Gallery & More!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF 3.5 offers a more modern and productive experience at PF. However, there are some aesthetic issues with the new style.
The new look is definitely growing on me. Thank you for all of the hard work you do to keep this site's quality high.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the forum having a little indigestion with the changes? Seemed to be bouncing with 500 internal server errors this morning.

Just thought I'd mention it.

-Dave K

{Pats PF on the head..there there little guy...It'll be ok.}

As you say you cannot please everybody. I soon noticed superscript + looks rather like a - as in [H+] and [OH-], involved in about 50% of the Chemistry and Biology questions, or is it only me needing new glasses? :smile:

dkotschessaa said:
Is the forum having a little indigestion with the changes? Seemed to be bouncing with 500 internal server errors this morning.

Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

epenguin said:
As you say you cannot please everybody. I soon noticed superscript + looks rather like a - as in [H+] and [OH-], involved in about 50% of the Chemistry and Biology questions, or is it only me needing new glasses? :smile:
Looks fine to me.

A bit too much. I liked the more minimalist style the previous board had. Over-time I will get used to it though.

jedishrfu said:
will you be adding the colorizing of program source code to posts?

Geshi works well:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi

I've been using Pygments to highlight source code in my posts, e.g. with something similar to:
Code:
echo "import antigravity" | pygmentize -l python -f bbcode

I agree that something that automatically did that would be nice.

With the new color scheme it is harder to tell at a glance whether I am on Physics Forums or Facebook. Be forewarned.

Recognitions: after inserting a "too large" image. No big deal. Just sayin'.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57172&stc=1&d=1364410919.jpg

Attachments

• Recognitions.jpg
    Recognitions.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 526
That is still better than the version we had 1-2 days ago, where the whole text was overlapping with the border of the boxes.
$$\rm{This is the equivalent to a very wide image. This is the equivalent to a very wide image. This is the equivalent to a very wide image.}$$

Interesting, a different box size.

The new look is okay, but i have a wide screen and it sucks that the design doesn't adapt to the window size. I've made a Greasemonkey script for everyone who likes a flexible design. It also gets rid of the sidebar on the front page. I've attached a screenshot of the changes.

But here's a warning: I'm not a webdesigner, so maybe this is a very dilletantish way to do it, but it works for me. I also haven't tested this for more than 5 minutes and i didn't try it with other browsers than Firefox. So use it on your own risk.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Physics Forums
// @namespace   physicsforums
// @include     [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/*[/PLAIN] 
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

document.body.style.background = "none";

page = document.getElementsByClassName("page")[0];
page.style.width = "95%";

rightcontainer = document.getElementById ("right-container");
if (rightcontainer) rightcontainer.parentNode.removeChild (rightcontainer);

leftcontainer = document.getElementById ("left-container");
if (leftcontainer) leftcontainer.style.width = "100%";

posts = document.getElementsByClassName ("last-post");
for (i = 0; i < posts.length; i++) {
    post = posts[i];
    post.parentNode.width = "425px";
    post.style.width = "400px";
    link = post.children[0].children[0].children[0].children[0];
    title = link.title;
    title = title.substr (35);
    title = title.substr (0, title.length - 1);
    if (title.length > 55) title = title.substr (0, 55) + "...";
    link.children[0].innerHTML = title;
}

pre = document.getElementsByTagName ("pre");
for (i = 0; i < pre.length; i++) {
    if (pre[i].style.width == "640px") pre[i].style.width = "100%";
}

Attachments

• physicsforums.jpg
    physicsforums.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... Did you apply it to a saved copy of the page? You can't get a script on your computer to apply itself to whatever page you choose on the internet.

rubi said:
i have a wide screen and it sucks that the design doesn't adapt to the window size.
Why? Longer lines of text are harder to read.

Borg said:
Uh... Did you apply it to a saved copy of the page? You can't get a script on your computer to apply itself to whatever page you choose on the internet.
Yes, you can. It's called Greasemonkey. Get it from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

Fredrik said:
Well, if you like shorter lines, then just change the number "95%" in the script to whatever you like better. The new design was just a bit too small for me. But it's a matter of taste i think.

Fredrik said:

If you prefer a fixed line width, then add this to the script (and change 747px to whatever you want):
Code:
posts = document.getElementsByTagName ("div");
    if (posts[i].id.substr (0,12) == "post_message") posts[i].style.width = "747px";
}
That gives you the adapting design but keeps the line width fixed (see attached image).

Attachments

• physicsforums.jpg
    physicsforums.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
rubi said:
I've made a Greasemonkey script for everyone who likes a flexible design. It also gets rid of the sidebar on the front page. I've attached a screenshot of the changes.

But here's a warning: I'm not a webdesigner, so maybe this is a very dilletantish way to do it, but it works for me. I also haven't tested this for more than 5 minutes and i didn't try it with other browsers than Firefox. So use it on your own risk.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Physics Forums
// @namespace   physicsforums
// @include     [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/*[/PLAIN] 
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

document.body.style.background = "none";

page = document.getElementsByClassName("page")[0];
page.style.width = "95%";

rightcontainer = document.getElementById ("right-container");
if (rightcontainer) rightcontainer.parentNode.removeChild (rightcontainer);

leftcontainer = document.getElementById ("left-container");
if (leftcontainer) leftcontainer.style.width = "100%";

posts = document.getElementsByClassName ("last-post");
    post = posts[i];
    post.parentNode.width = "425px";
    post.style.width = "400px";
    link = post.children[0].children[0].children[0].children[0];
    title = link.title;
    title = title.substr (35);
    title = title.substr (0, title.length - 1);
    if (title.length > 55) title = title.substr (0, 55) + "...";
    link.children[0].innerHTML = title;
}

pre = document.getElementsByTagName ("pre");
for (i = 0; i < pre.length; i++) {
    if (pre[i].style.width == "640px") pre[i].style.width = "100%";
}

Sure is a lot of trouble IMO. I have to agree with...

Fredrik said:

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Sure is a lot of trouble IMO. I have to agree with...

It actually took me just about 20 minutes to write this although I'm not a web programmer and i had to look up some of the commands. And it takes 3 minutes to add it to your Firefox addons. Just install Greasemonkey, add a new userscript and copy&paste the code (including the comments).

If you add the above snippet, you also get the same line width as in the new design. The script actually even has one advantage: The thread titles on the front page are longer.

I'm not saying this modified design is better. I just find it better personally and i thought i'd share it with everyone, who also thinks so.

rubi said:
I'm not saying this modified design is better. I just find it better personally and i thought i'd share it with everyone, who also thinks so.

Cool idea. Whatever works for ya!

Greg, everything is very nice and works good, :cool: but that "Homework Help" looks strange. Does it mean a person? We are recognized as Homework Helpers. Can you add that little "er" back?

There would be less problems if you made the form a bit wider. It is not true that compressing the text into a narrow place is good to the eyes. I feel it quite bad, staring at small faint letters. There are other people feeling the same. I widened the whole thing from the Browser menu so as it fills the width of my screen, and it is much better now, but with big empty places in the first column. Enough place for "Homework Helper" under my name.

ehild

ehild said:
Greg, everything is very nice and works good, :cool: but that "Homework Help" looks strange. Does it mean a person? We are recognized as Homework Helpers. Can you add that little "er" back?

There would be less problems if you made the form a bit wider. It is not true that compressing the text into a narrow place is good to the eyes. I feel it quite bad, staring at small faint letters. There are other people feeling the same. I widened the whole thing from the Browser menu so as it fills the width of my screen, and it is much better now, but with big empty places in the first column. Enough place for "Homework Helper" under my name.

ehild

There was a topic about the recognition titles: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=681029

I agree with you that "Homework help" doesn't sound/look good.

x2791258 said:
There was a topic about the recognition titles: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=681029

I agree with you that "Homework help" doesn't sound/look good.

Yes, but my comment was more about the width of the form which would solve these problems with the names.

ehild