What am I overlooking? Vectors simple problem

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, if the plane's velocity (v) is greater than the wind velocity (w), the solution gives the result of w being decreased by a factor of 2. If the plane's velocity (v) is less than the wind velocity (w), the solution gives the result of w being increased by a factor of 4.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/859/unledxnj.png

The Attempt at a Solution

ignoring all units for now, I took v = <1,-1> for plane

v + w_1 = <-2,0> and speed is 2

v + w_2 = <2,-4> and speed is √(20)

v + w_3 = <0,5> and speed is 5

v + w_4 = <11,1> and speed is√122

v + w_5 = <4,-3> and speed is 5

I thought it should be w_4 that increases the plane's speed the most and w_1 decreases the most, but it was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you do show (almost) that the question is not very well thought out.

The reason I say almost is that you should look at the change in speed, not just the final speed. The air speed you chose was √(2) .

But it is true that the plane's air speed is slow compared to the wind speed, as you have in your example, then the given answer answer is not correct.

Normally, I would expect the plane's air speed to be several times any wind speed.

What must the plane's air speed (the plane's speed w.r.t. the air) be, in order for the answers to be w5 and/or w3 respectively?

Furthermore, the above assumes that the air speed (actually the plane's velocity w.r.t. the air) is in the southeast direction. What if you assume that the plane's actual (resultant) velocity is in the southeast direction.

My first observation: You do not know the speed of the plane. If you assign a vector <1,1> here, you may be saying that the plane is traveling at sqrt(2) ground speed.

adding the big vector, you can see you are actually reversing the direction of the plane.

I think a good assumption would be that this would be impossible. You might consider graphing all of the vectors and see which one might increase the speed the greatest and the one that might decrease the speed the greatest.

I am a bit confused, we are dealing with speed, so my change is still going to take the "biggest number" from my answers.

This problem is due soon and I am still out of ideas.

Sigh, i have the solutions

[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/28/unledpb.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

I would have to look a bit further at various examples before being convinced of the validity of that method of solution.

Added in Edit:

Well, I've pondered it some and, well ... I don't like it.

I'll try to take a little time out tomorrow and explain, but quickly, if |v| >> |w| then what the solution shows is approximately correct. But they actually use v = i - j & simply look at the component of w parallel to v. There is also a component of w perpendicular to i - j . They are not considering that effect at all.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented as an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration, and are used in mathematical calculations and modeling to understand and predict the behavior of systems.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction, such as temperature or mass. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by both magnitude and direction, such as 10 m/s east.

4. How can vectors be added or subtracted?

Vectors can be added or subtracted using the head-to-tail method. To add two vectors, place the tail of the second vector at the head of the first vector, and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two vectors. To subtract two vectors, place the tail of the second vector at the head of the first vector, and then draw a line from the head of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the difference between the two vectors.

5. How do I determine the direction and magnitude of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined by the angle it makes with a reference direction, usually the positive x-axis. The magnitude of a vector can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, the magnitude can also be determined using trigonometric functions if the angle of the vector is known.