Energy Transfer in Clocks: Kinetic to Gravitational & Elastic Potential Energy

• Thread starter Ryanzmw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving energy transfers, specifically kinetic energy to other forms of potential energy. The first question involves a pendulum clock that uses gravitational potential energy and the second question involves a clock that uses elastic potential energy. The question of whether to include sound energy in these basic transfer questions is raised, with the explanation that there may also be heat and electric energy losses due to friction and air resistance. The expert suggests that for GCSE, it is not necessary to consider sound energy and that the focus should be on mechanical energy conservation. The concept of waste energy is also briefly mentioned.
Ryanzmw
Ok, so we've been set some pretty easy homework involving energy transfers e.g. Kinetic energy --> sound energy..

And in 1 of these questions it involves 2 clock which require no electricity to function the first is a pendulum clock with a cord where you lift up a weight which will slowly fall powering the clock. So here's what I put:
Kinetic energy--> Gravitational potential energy--> Kinetic energy.

The second clock has a coil which is tightened and as it slowly unravels it powers the clock. So here what I put:

Kinetic energy-->Elastic potential energy--> Kinetic energy.

Now here's my problem in these basic G.C.S.E. Transfer questions should I include Sound energy? (for the clock ticking.)

Would you of put the sane answers as me?

Physics news on Phys.org
For GCSE, I probably wouldn't consider sound energy, and just base it on mechanical energy conservation.

But actually, there is heat generated due to friction, at the hinges, friction due to air resistance also causes heat. And of course, there is sound energy loss. It might even have a very very very tiny electric energy loss/gain due to 'rubbing' with air molecules, and getting/losing electrons.

Infinitum said:
For GCSE, I probably wouldn't consider sound energy, and just base it on mechanical energy conservation.

But actually, there is heat generated due to friction, at the hinges, friction due to air resistance also causes heat. And of course, there is sound energy loss. It might even have a very very very tiny electric energy loss/gain due to 'rubbing' with air molecules, and getting/losing electrons.

But for energy transfers do you include waste energy?

Ryanzmw said:
But for energy transfers do you include waste energy?

As a general trend, assuming a friction free environment, and no air(no air=no tick-tock :wink:), basically, you cannot have any of the waste energy losses I listed. This is probably what your question asks for. Just pure KE and PE.

Yeah that's what I initially thought but then had some doubts. Thanks though. :)

Related to Energy Transfer in Clocks: Kinetic to Gravitational & Elastic Potential Energy

1. What is the purpose of including certain elements in my research?

The purpose of including certain elements in your research is to provide evidence and support for your findings. This can help to strengthen your argument and make your research more credible.

2. How do I know which elements are necessary to include?

The elements that are necessary to include in your research will depend on the specific topic and research question you are addressing. It is important to carefully consider what information is relevant and important to your study.

3. Can I include personal opinions in my research?

While it is important to provide a clear and well-supported argument in your research, it is generally not recommended to include personal opinions. Instead, focus on presenting objective and factual information.

4. Do I need to include references or citations for every piece of information?

Yes, it is important to provide proper references or citations for any information or ideas that are not your own. This helps to give credit to the original source and avoid plagiarism.

5. Are there any elements that are commonly forgotten but important to include?

Some commonly forgotten elements that are important to include in research are a clear research question or hypothesis, a literature review, and a discussion of limitations and future directions for the research.