Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace What are booster stages in aviation Gas Turbine

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Guys, I was reading about Turbofan and somewhere while browsing Defence Turbofan engines I came across Booster stages, but I didn't find any description or what are booster stages in Gas Turbine (Axial Compressor)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    I design gas turbines, & I've never heard that term for turbofans. Only has meaning to me with regard to rockets.

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    The booster is a low pressure compressor stage. Prior to ramping up the pressures with the HP compressor stages, (or in cases where the bypass is used to boost pressure for addition downstream) the air will be gradually brought up in pressure by LP stages, sometimes called booster stages.

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    Thank You Travis King....... tell me one thing more if fan and booster stages are driven by one LP turbine then is it necessary that we have gearbox in between booster stage and fan. Because as far as I know there Speed (rotational) difference between LP compressor and fan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook