What are common problems encountered when using a double pulley system?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a pulley system and calculating forces. The initial attempt at a solution included a diagram but had incorrect values. The expert corrects the values and explains the concept of action-reaction pairs along the rope. The conversation ends with the student understanding their mistake and thanking the expert for their help.
nu_hash

Homework Statement

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B65UbG8T0LS9SEFRTHhHZmR2NDA/edit
Question 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I tried to draw a diagram but I don't really know where to start tbh, I also can't my head around how 1200N of force only provides 600N worthof acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
Your link is inaccessible. You have to change the settings for the file so it can be seen publicly.

Sorry I fixed it now

For starters, the lower pulley 'splits' the force the platform is pulling down with. Also, the drum is pulling on both the cable and the platform it's connected to.

The values 1.8kN and 1.2kN are spot on. I don't know where you got 0.9kN and 2.1kN, though. The tension 1.2kN from the drum should cause a chain of action-reaction pairs along every segment of rope.

I see what I did wrong now, thanks for the help

Related to What are common problems encountered when using a double pulley system?

1. What is a double pulley system?

A double pulley system is a mechanism that consists of two pulleys connected by a rope or belt. The rope is looped over both pulleys, with one end attached to a fixed support and the other end attached to the object being lifted. This system is used to multiply the force applied to lift an object, making it easier to move heavy loads.

2. How does a double pulley system work?

A double pulley system works on the principle of mechanical advantage. By looping the rope around two pulleys, the force applied to one end of the rope is divided between the two pulleys. This results in a decrease in the force required to lift the load, but an increase in the distance the rope must be pulled.

3. What are some common problems encountered when using a double pulley system?

Some common problems encountered when using a double pulley system include friction in the pulleys, which can decrease the efficiency of the system, and the rope slipping off the pulleys. It's important to make sure the pulleys are well-oiled and the rope is securely attached to both pulleys to avoid these issues.

4. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a double pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a double pulley system can be calculated by dividing the load weight by the effort force. For example, if a load of 100 pounds is being lifted and an effort force of 50 pounds is applied, the mechanical advantage would be 2 (100/50 = 2). This means the system is able to lift the load with half the effort force.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a double pulley system?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when using any type of pulley system. This includes making sure the pulleys are securely attached and in good condition, using proper lifting techniques, and never exceeding the weight limit of the system. It is also important to wear appropriate protective gear and have a spotter when lifting heavy loads.