Length of a string over a 2 pulley system

In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab report and specifically a pulley system. The person is stuck on one aspect and is asking for clarification on how L changes as more weight is added onto mb. The equation d=m(L/2)/(sqrt((2M)^2-(m)^2)) is discussed and there is confusion about the string endpoints and the distance between the string and the pulley's center and mass. Further clarification is needed in order to move forward.
breid040
Homework Statement
How does L change as mb gets heavier?
Relevant Equations
d=m(L/2)/(sqrt((2M)^2-(m)^2))
Hello all,
I am working on a lab report for physics, and am a bit stuck on one aspect. The basic layout of the pulley system is attached. (This is a diagram I made, so if there are any inaccuracies in this one either, I am happy to fix it.

So, I mostly understand the lab. My TA said, though, that L/2 changes as more weight is added onto mb.
Here is my attempt at understanding why:
1573595267408.png

Is this accurate? I just wanted to check.

Physics news on Phys.org
breid040 said:
Homework Statement: How does L change as mb gets heavier?
Homework Equations: d=m(L/2)/(sqrt((2M)^2-(m)^2))

Hello all,
I am working on a lab report for physics, and am a bit stuck on one aspect. The basic layout of the pulley system is attached. (This is a diagram I made, so if there are any inaccuracies in this one either, I am happy to fix it.

So, I mostly understand the lab. My TA said, though, that L/2 changes as more weight is added onto mb.
Here is my attempt at understanding why:
View attachment 252745
Is this accurate? I just wanted to check.

What is mb?

mb is the weight in the middle, the diagram shows it if you can see the diagram :smile:

breid040 said:
mb is the weight in the middle, the diagram shows it if you can see the diagram :smile:

Are the string endpoints fixed to the tops of the pulleys?

MichaelJ12 said:
Are the string endpoints fixed to the tops of the pulleys?
No, it's one long string that has 3 weights on it, and goes through both the pulleys. Would the amount of string lost on the inside by wrapping over the pulley be made up for by pulling more string over?

breid040 said:
No, it's one long string that has 3 weights on it, and goes through both the pulleys. Would the amount of string lost on the inside by wrapping over the pulley be made up for by pulling more string over?
Consider the point where the string touches the (rotated) pulley. How far is it from a vertical line through the pulley's centre? How far is it from a vertical line through the mass? What equation does that allow you to write?

If I'm interpreting you right, the point where the string touches the pulley to the center should just be the radius of the pulley? The distance to the mass would be the changed L/2? I tried drawing out a diagram.
Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.37.44 PM.png
I am a bit confused on where to go from here, however?

breid040 said:
where the string touches the pulley to the center
No, not to the centre of the pulley; the horizontal distance to the vertical through the centre.
breid040 said:
The distance to the mass would be the changed L/2?
Again, I asked for the horizontal distance to a vertical line through the mass. Express this in terms of what you are calling the "changed L/2", but please don’t call it that. Let's call it x.

Related to Length of a string over a 2 pulley system

1. What is a 2 pulley system?

A 2 pulley system is a mechanical device that uses two pulleys and a rope or belt to transmit force and motion. It is commonly used to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a 2 pulley system affect the length of a string?

A 2 pulley system can either increase or decrease the length of a string, depending on how the pulleys are arranged. In a simple 2 pulley system, the string will be twice the length of the distance between the pulleys. However, using multiple pulleys and changing their positions can result in a different length of the string.

3. What variables affect the length of a string in a 2 pulley system?

The length of a string in a 2 pulley system is affected by several variables, including the distance between the pulleys, the number of pulleys used, the diameter of the pulleys, and the tension of the string. Additionally, the angle at which the string is pulled can also affect its length.

4. How can the length of a string in a 2 pulley system be calculated?

The length of a string in a 2 pulley system can be calculated using the formula L = 2d + (N-1)(πr), where L is the length of the string, d is the distance between the pulleys, N is the number of pulleys, and r is the radius of the pulleys. This formula assumes that the string is straight and does not take into account the tension of the string.

5. What are some real-world applications of a 2 pulley system?

A 2 pulley system has many real-world applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. It is also commonly used in weightlifting and rock climbing for mechanical advantage. Additionally, 2 pulley systems are used in simple machines like bikes and cars to transfer motion and power.