Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What are Lorentz Factors?

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    Hi, I was wondering what Lorenz Factors are. Can someone give me a simple definition?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

The ratio between the clock rates of an observer at rest in an inertial frame and an observer moving at constant speed. Also the ratio of ruler lengths, if the rulers are pointing in the direction of motion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
  4. Apr 27, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is the Euclidean analogue: cos(theta).
    Given two unit vectors, cos(theta) is the dot product of those two vectors. What it means is that, generally you don't get all of a vector pointing along one of your coordinate axes... You get components... And they involve that cosine factor. In special relativity, that is the hyperbolic cosine... which is often called ##\gamma## (and hyperbolic sine is ##\beta\gamma##).

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

"Lorentz" not "Lorenz"..... Not all spelling mistakes matter but this one does because Ludwig Lorenz and Hendrik Lorentz are different people.

You'll often see the Lorentz factor represented with the symbol ##\gamma##, a convenient shorthand for the longer ##1/\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}##.

The wikipedia article is worth reading if you haven't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
  6. Apr 27, 2016 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

Also, Google for "light clock". You can derive the Lorentz transforms (including the Lorentz factor, ##\gamma##) with no maths beyond Pythagoras' Theorem.

7. Apr 28, 2016 #6
    I spent the summer after high school trying to figure that out from scratch. I finally got it, but doing the whole thing with just a generic linear transformation (x = ax' + bt', t = ft' + gx') a year later was much more satisfying.

8. Apr 28, 2016 #7
    There was also Edward Lorenz, a mathematician and meteorologist, famous for his pioneering contributions to chaos theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted