What are some helpful resources for calculating stress and strain in beams?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a topic for a presentation on titanium in sport and its use in equipment such as cricket helmets and golf clubs. The speaker is seeking suggestions for a calculation to include in the presentation and is considering comparing the stress and strain behavior of titanium to other common metals. The conversation also touches on the use of titanium in medical applications for repairing injured athletes. Various resources and equations are recommended for calculating the displacement and maximum surface stress of a fixed beam with a load in the center.
Michaelcarson11

Homework Statement

I have been asked to make a presentation about a material for my AS coursework. I have chosen to talk about titanium and its use in sport. The only problem is, we have to do some sort of calculation which involves elastic modulus/ hardness/ tensile strength etc. I was thinking of doing a calculation about the force that a titanium grille on a cricket helmet needs to withstand. Has anybody got any better suggestions or can help me with my proposed calculation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is also used in golf clubs.

Compare and contrast the stress/strain behavior of titanium versus (fill in other common metals here like steel, aluminum, etc.)

EDIT -- Oh, and include the density numbers for each in your table. Without the density numbers, the other numbers wouldn't mean much. Quiz question -- why?

golf clubs might be easier to calculate. Although since you're comparing materials you could simplify the grille to be a beam under bending or something like. You get nice illustrative differences between materials when working with "specific" properties (or relative), modulus/density etc. which you can then interpret with respect to performance in your particular application.

PerennialII said:
golf clubs might be easier to calculate. Although since you're comparing materials you could simplify the grille to be a beam under bending or something like.

The structure of a cricket mask is made up of CURVED beams not straight ones. In fact they behave much more more like an arch (of a bridge etc) that "a (straight) beam under bending".

I don't think you will have studied how to do the correct calculations on the of stress, stiffness, etc on the mask. Even if you do know the theory the calcs are very hard to do "by hand". The practical way to do it would be to make a computer model using Finite Element Analysis software, but that is Univ. level stuff not AS level I think.

I would suggest you go for the golf club. That is basically a beam with a mass on the end, and know you how to analyse it correctly. For example you could find the stiffness of a "real" titanium club, then see what thickness of the shaft and what mass it would have, to get the same stiffness with different materials like steel, aluminium, wood, etc.

Titanium is valuable because of its high strength to density ratio. Which means that objects made out of this material are both lightweight and strong, which makes it easy to carry around. It also has a relatively low modulus of elasticity. I seem to recall that it is used in the head of the club (the strike area?). What materials are used in the shaft is a production secret.

The golf club idea sounds excellent but can anybody help to do the calculation?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Another use for titanium in sport ... don't forget about the medical applications for patching up injured sportsmen and -women (plates and screws to repair broken bones, replacing damage joints, etc)

Can anybody give me the equations the equations for displacement and maximum surface stress in a beam fixed at both ends and the load in the centre?

Michaelcarson11 said:
Can anybody give me the equations the equations for displacement and maximum surface stress in a beam fixed at both ends and the load in the centre?

The classic reference book for this sort of question is the book "Formulas for Stress and Strain" by Roark and Young (probably owned by 99.999% of "real engineers", and called just "Roark")

It appears to be available online here: http://www.roarksformulas.com/ (with free registration)

Or try http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml

Related to What are some helpful resources for calculating stress and strain in beams?

1. What is titanium presentation?

Titanium presentation refers to the use of titanium, a strong and lightweight metal, in creating slides or visuals for a presentation. It can also refer to a presentation about titanium and its properties.

2. Why is titanium used in presentations?

Titanium is often used in presentations because of its unique properties, such as its strength, durability, and corrosion resistance. It can also add a modern and sleek aesthetic to the presentation.

3. How is titanium incorporated into presentations?

Titanium can be incorporated into presentations in various ways. It can be used as a material for the slides themselves, as a design element in the visuals, or as a topic for the presentation.

4. What are the benefits of using titanium in presentations?

Using titanium in presentations can have several benefits. It can make the presentation more visually appealing, add a sense of professionalism, and highlight the presenter's knowledge and understanding of materials science.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using titanium in presentations?

One potential drawback of using titanium in presentations is that it may be more expensive compared to other materials. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of presentations, depending on the topic and audience.