What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
  • #3,221
My gardening is limited to a small herb garden (baby spinach, coriander, parsley and I've just planted some basil) and whatever can withstand rock-hard soil and scorching-hot summers. At the moment, this just equals parsley and leafless rocket. I suppose it would be a better idea to plant stuff in pots so that I can move them into shade..

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,222
Nobody has any advice? Where is Zz when you need him?

• #3,223

NeoDevin said:
Since the photo I've removed the dead leaves, and watered them (the plants, not the dead leaves). What else should I do?

Thanks.

Those don't look really bad. There is hope.

Make sure that there is not too much water, they hate wet feet especially in the resting period as they are in now. Let them drain a bit upsite down. And water only when totally dry.

Don't expect much flowering aspirations right now (if in the northern hemisphere). They know that the days are short and it's not a good time.

The plants will be forever grateful, if you replace the pots with transparant glass ones, as the green roots also love to do some photosynthesis. Moreover you can monitor the water balance that way. A little condense is all what you want to see.

Best substrate is tree bark chips and sphagnum combined.

My experience is that an easterly window works well, a little early sun is fine. Definitely not on the south.

Start with a little bit of fertilization after doomsday (21 Dec 2012) and the years thereafter of course.

Does that help?

• #3,224

NeoDevin said:
I've been way too busy over the past couple months, and haven't been taking very good care of my orchids. I've pretty much neglected them completely, until I looked at them today and saw how poorly they were doing. Any advice on how to save them? See the attached photo, from left to right they are:
Paph. St. Swithin
Some variety of Phal that I got in the discount bin at home depot
Cattleya Aurantiaca 'Orange'

Since the photo I've removed the dead leaves, and watered them (the plants, not the dead leaves). What else should I do?

Thanks.

ORCHID FOOD
In their native habitat, orchids scavenge nutrients from whatever happens to be nearby: decomposing leaves, bird or animal droppings, or minerals borne in rainwater. You can help your orchid to grow faster and bloom sooner by feeding it the right fertilizers. Look for products that contain nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K), along with trace elements such as iron.

Potassium (K) is mainly responsible for the control of flower, and fruit development. Phosphorous (P) for flower production, and Nitrogen (N) for healthy vegetative growth. The amount of feeding depends on the plant concerned, the time of year and general health of the plant. Investigations have shown that feeding should begin with more Nitrogen just when the new shoots are showing, more Phosphorous and Potassium being necessary towards the end of the season.

. . .
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orchids/orchid_care_tips/feeding/feeding.html

WATERING YOUR ORCHID
Always water early in the day so that your orchids dry out by nighttime. The proper frequency of watering will depend on the climatic conditions where you live. In general, water once a week during the winter and twice a week when the weather turns warm and dry. The size of your orchid container also helps determine how often you need to water, regardless of climate conditions. Typically, a 6-inch pot needs water every 7 days and a 4-inch pot needs water every 5 to 6 days.

The type of potting medium being used can also affect your plant's water requirements. Bark has a tendency to dry out more rapidly than sphagnum moss, for instance. It is important to remember, however, that even when the surface of your pot is dry, the root area may remain moist. Poke your finger or a regular wooden pencil an inch into the pot; if it feels moist to the touch or if the pencil looks moist, do not add additional water. The potting medium should always be damp, but not soggy—neither should it be allowed to get extremely dry.

. . .
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orchids/orchid_care_tips/watering/watering.html

http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orchids/orchid_care_tips/faq/frequently_asked_questions.html

http://justaddiceorchids.com/watering

http://myorchidcare.com/

Also see the American Orchid Society: http://aos.org/

All About Orchids = http://aos.org/Default.aspx?id=59

• #3,225
I am about to pick a dozen ripe tomatoes. Unfortunately there are still over 30 green tomatoes of varying sizes that will be lost

I had dozens of bell peppers that stunted after the weather got cold. Who wants a peanut sized bell pepper, I have dozens of them! :cry:

If the weather had cooled a month earlier, I could have had an awesome harvest, but the summer was just too hot at that critical time. Nothing would set until the weather cooled, then it was too late.

Eggplants never made it, a complete loss.

• #3,226
Gardening is over for the year. This morning, I took the tiller attachment off the tractor and parked the tractor in the garage. Sad times.

• #3,227
Perusing a seed catalog :!). True, winter has barely even started, but it's also true that the days are getting longer now!

• #3,228
My wife promised our little niece a spot of her own in next summer's garden, and when she has to babysit her next, she will take over a catalog from Johnny's so they can pick out seeds.

Last edited:
  • #3,229

Andre said:
The plants will be forever grateful, if you replace the pots with transparant glass ones, as the green roots also love to do some photosynthesis. Moreover you can monitor the water balance that way. A little condense is all what you want to see.

I've been looking out for some clear glass pots for them, but haven't seen any. Would it be alright to replant them into clear glass mason jars?

• #3,230
As usual, at this time of the year, my indoor orchids start to flower.

Freckles is usually the first one to get going, and she is in full bloom now.

img8110k.jpg

The rest are a bit behind. 3 of Purple flowers have opened up, but she has plenty more buds to open.

Since last summer, I adopted a new orchid. My graduate student one day walked into my office and told me that he knew that I grow orchids and was wondering if I want another one. He showed me this rather small orchid plant (with 3 or 4 small leaves) in a rather tiny pot. He said that this was given to his wife when it had flowers. The flowers had been gone for a few months, and his wife thought the plant was dead and was about to dump it into the trash. He rescued it because he thought that the plant still looked healthy, and wanted to know if I would adopt it and save it from being dumped. So I did!

After transplanting it to a new pot and giving it a fresh orchid mix, it has been growing new leaves and growing quite well so far. And now, finally, it has put out a flowering stem

img8118lc.jpg

I have no idea what the flowers look like, but I really don't care. I'm just anxious to find out. I intend to snap a photo of it when it has bloomed fully, and send it to my student to show to his wife. :)

Zz.

• #3,231
Everytome I see orchids at the store, I am so tempted to buy one, but I don't really have a good sunny window where I live now.

• #3,232
What happened to the title?

Evo said:
... but I don't really have a good sunny window where I live now.

That's actually ok, because orchids like the popular Phalaenopsis don't like direct sun.

• #3,233
Andre said:
That's actually ok, because orchids like the popular Phalaenopsis don't like direct sun.
Hmmm, I have a west facing window with a wall of trees in front, it really wouldn't get much light. I wonder how low is too low?

• #3,234
Evo said:
Hmmm, I have a west facing window with a wall of trees in front, it really wouldn't get much light. I wonder how low is too low?
My wife keeps hers in a north facing window and they do very well. Of course if I was taking care of them, they wouldn't survive a month. :rolleyes:

• #3,235
My gardening skills amount to letting the grass (and weeds) in my yards overgrow until it looks like South Vietnam and my neighbors start complaining...

At that point point, I'll typically tell them that I'm pioneering a movement to save the old-growth forest, hahaha.. They typically don't laugh at that joke, though.

In any case, that's the indication for me that spring has sprung and I'll pull the rusty old lawnmower out of the shed with the year old (definitely not Perennial) coagulated gasoline gelling at the bottom.

That will usually quiet the neighbors down for a while, but I got to do the whole thing over again a month later. Geez. Repeat cycle 3 or 4 times each year and there you have it.

Oh yeah, every other year or so I'll hang a "topsy turvy" off some structure in the yard (for tomatoes). It actually works pretty well. I like the Russian purple tomatoes especially. However, the last batch I grew ended up tasting "grassy," so I haven't done it since. They've got some great farmers markets up where I live, so I typically get my fresh produce there, and let those guys do the work.

• #3,236
DiracPool said:
My gardening skills amount to letting the grass (and weeds) in my yards overgrow until it looks like South Vietnam and my neighbors start complaining...

At that point point, I'll typically tell them that I'm pioneering a movement to save the old-growth forest, hahaha.. They typically don't laugh at that joke, though.

*wonders if DP's yard has Vu Quang oxen*

• #3,237
lisab said:
*wonders if DP's yard has Vu Quang oxen*

I did actually find an MIA marine in their a few years ago. The family was very grateful...

• #3,238
I need to decide what to grow this year, I think I'm going to give up on tomatoes because if I want to prevent squirrels from stealing them, it's going to require some elaborate fencing around the container. Unfortunately there is no farmer's market near me and even though the local grocery store pretends that they sell "fresh from local farms" produce, the stuff is old, moldy and has fruit flies. The stuff shipped in from out of state is fresher and in better condition, but the tomatoes are picked green. There is just no way to get fresh tomatoes here without growing them. Oh well. :frown:

I think I'll stick to eggplant and perhaps a variety of peppers. I need plants that self polinate due to the lack of pollinating insects. Ok, I must have at least one tomato plant. I was thinking I might buy wire dog crate and place the plants inside. Any suggestions on a really easy way to prevent squirrel attacks, and no killing.

• #3,239
Evo said:
I need to decide what to grow this year, I think I'm going to give up on tomatoes because if I want to prevent squirrels from stealing them, ... (store) tomatoes are picked green
NOOO! Find a way.

• #3,240
Evo said:
... Any suggestions on a really easy way to prevent squirrel attacks, and no killing.

solution?

• #3,241
  • #3,242
  • #3,243
My amaryllis decided to join in the fun and bloom at the same time as my orchids.

img8163u.jpg

Zz.

• #3,244
Gorgeous Zz, I am so jealous!

• #3,245
Almost gardening season again. It is still cool here at night. But the blueberries are budding finally.

http://www.andreawulf.com/andrea-wu...e-and-the-shaping-of-the-american-nation.html

She describes how, even as British ships gathered off Staten Island, George Washington wrote his estate manager about the garden at Mount Vernon; how a tour of English gardens renewed Thomas Jefferson's and John Adams's faith in their fledgling nation; how a trip to the great botanist John Bartram’s garden helped the delegates of the Constitutional Congress to break their deadlock; and why James Madison is the forgotten father of American environmentalism.

• #3,246
Two weeks ago, I started some starts (I guess that's why they're called that...:confused:). Nothing sprouting yet, still too cold - only in the 40s today.

• #3,247
lisab said:
Two weeks ago, I started some starts (I guess that's why they're called that...:confused:). Nothing sprouting yet, still too cold - only in the 40s today.
Bulbs? What did you plant?

• #3,248
Evo said:
Bulbs? What did you plant?

So far, just tomatoes and various flowers. Lots of tomatoes - I'm optimistic about a warm summer, for a change! Heirlooms and sauce varieties, my favorites. They're in the screen porch where it's kinda sort of warm.

I have basil :biggrin: seeds too, but I think I should wait for moderately warm weather for those.

• #3,249
lisab said:
So far, just tomatoes and various flowers. Lots of tomatoes - I'm optimistic about a warm summer, for a change! Heirlooms and sauce varieties, my favorites. They're in the screen porch where it's kinda sort of warm.

I have basil :biggrin: seeds too, but I think I should wait for moderately warm weather for those.
You're handy, you might want to make a simple cold frame to get your seedlings going.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/garden-care/building-a-simple-cold-frame/

• #3,250
My brother and his wife have a portable greenhouse (basically shelves enclosed in clear plastic with some lights to warm inside) they keep in a dining area just off the kitchen. It gets background light since the kitchen faces northeast. It might get a bit of light in the summer during early morning.

• #3,251
I just have my seeds, plots, and water mixed with a compost bin in my backyard and lawn. Mostly veggies, tea, herbs, and fragrances. Also two avocado trees that were previously here and a sour orange tree home to a pigeon in a nest.

• #3,252
Being here in south Florida, my* mango trees withstood the winter quite well. The poor avocado tree, however, got half it's leaves blown off during these pretty bad pre-spring storms we've been having.

*not actually MY trees, but rather my parents' (I'm still a young'n compared to most of you). I just take care of them.

• #3,253
ImATrackMan said:
Being here in south Florida, my* mango trees withstood the winter quite well. The poor avocado tree, however, got half it's leaves blown off during these pretty bad pre-spring storms we've been having.

*not actually MY trees, but rather my parents' (I'm still a young'n compared to most of you). I just take care of them.

I also live in SFL, I don't have mango, but I do have avocado and it withstood the winds quite well.

• #3,254
Tell you what else we have (but really, REALLY don't want)...

Raccoons. Always stealing the low hanging fruit. Sure they're cute, but when the babies take after their parents it's "goodbye ripe mango".

• #3,255
It's time to prune the fruit trees. I need to be quite diligent about spraying the trees before and after blossoming, so that the birds won't spoil the fruit. I only use canola oil in a hose-end sprayer - no pesticides. Still, that is enough to suppress insect activity so that insectivorous birds won't damage the fruit looking for for bugs to eat.

I won't use pesticides anywhere on my property, but I have to be wary of the huge fields of commercially-grown crops and the large orchards around here. The bugs that come here are already too tough, and the wind-blown pollens are hard to deal with. Got to roll with it.

Back