What Are the Dimensions and SI Units of Voltage?

In summary, the dimensions of voltage are mass, length squared, time to the power of -3 and electric current to the power of -1. The SI units for voltage are not joules and coulombs, as those are not basic units in the SI system. The basic units for voltage are mass, length, time and electric current.
fran1942
Hello, we have been asked:

i) State the dimensions of voltage. The work W done to move an amount of charge Q (coulombs) through a potential difference of V volts is given by W = VQ.
ii) state it's SI units.

Would I be correct to say
i) the dimensions are V=J/C or could I word it V=W/Q ?
ii) the SI units are joules and coulombs ?

Thanks kindly for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i) What are the fundamental "dimensions"? (They're NOT the same thing as units.)

ii) What combination of joules & coulombs? --- J·C, C/J, J/C, CJ or whatever other combination you can come up with?

Thanks for your help. I have revised my answers based on your advice:

Would I now be correct to say:

i) the dimensions of Volts are: mass, distance, time and current
ii) the units are J/C

ii) is correct.

i) Fundamental Dimensions are: mass, length, time, electric charge, and temperature, represented by the symbols M, L, T, Q, and Θ .

For example: dimensions of acceleration are: LT‒2.

So, in addition to giving the dimensions of Voltage as: mass, distance, time and electric charge, you need to have an exponent where it's needed.

In addition to what Sammy said, maybe it is good to note the difference between physical quantities and their units.

fran1942 said:

Both are correct in this case, but that is more or less coincidental. The point here is that the quantity V (voltage) is measured in units of volt, which is also denoted by V.

It is common to write the units of any quantity Q as [Q].
So if the formula for V is V = W / Q, then you could also write [V] = [W] / [Q] - i.e.: the units of V(oltage) are the units of W(ork) divided by the units of Q (charge).
If you use SI units, then [V] = V, [W] = J and [Q] = C.

SammyS said:
i) Fundamental Dimensions are: mass, length, time, electric charge,

Current is a fundamental unit, charge is definite in terms of current and time

Yes, current is a fundamental unit, but we're looking at dimensional analysis. There's not universal agreement on whether charge or current should be fundamental. In what I looked up, the majority went with electric charge.

The problem is not well defined. Volt is also a SI unit, but not a basic one, just like joule and coulomb. Perhaps the unit of voltage in terms of base units (kg, m, s, A) is the question.

ehild

CompuChip said:
In addition to what Sammy said, maybe it is good to note the difference between physical quantities and their units.
Both are correct in this case, but that is more or less coincidental. The point here is that the quantity V (voltage) is measured in units of volt, which is also denoted by V.

It is common to write the units of any quantity Q as [Q].
So if the formula for V is V = W / Q, then you could also write [V] = [W] / [Q] - i.e.: the units of V(oltage) are the units of W(ork) divided by the units of Q (charge).
If you use SI units, then [V] = V, [W] = J and [Q] = C.
the formula for V is V = W / Q
then W = F x L,
then Q = I x T
then Dimension for Force (F) is [M][L][T]-2
Dimention for Length (L) is [L]
Dimention for current Electric (I) is [ I ]
Dimention for Time (T) is [T]
so
V = W / Q = (F x L) / (I x T)
V = ([M][L][T]-2[L]) / ([ I ][T])
= [M][L]2[T]-2[ I ]-1[T]-1
= [M][L]2[T]-3[ I ]-1
Dimention for Voltage is [M][L]2[T]-3[ I ]-1

Last edited:
SammyS said:
ii) is correct.

i) Fundamental Dimensions are: mass, length, time, electric charge, and temperature, represented by the symbols M, L, T, Q, and Θ .

For example: dimensions of acceleration are: LT‒2.

So, in addition to giving the dimensions of Voltage as: mass, distance, time and electric charge, you need to have an exponent where it's needed.

I think electric charge not basic quantity...but Electric Current is basic quantity with dimention of electric current is [ I ]

fran1942 said:
Hello, we have been asked:

i) State the dimensions of voltage. The work W done to move an amount of charge Q (coulombs) through a potential difference of V volts is given by W = VQ.
ii) state it's SI units.

Would I be correct to say
ii) the SI units are joules and coulombs ?

Thanks kindly for any help.
i) Dimention for Voltage is [M][L]2[T]-3[ I ]-1
ii) Joule and coulombs not SI units..because SI units using basic units of mks system
there are 7 basic quantity using SI units
Mass, Length , Time , Electric current, Temperature, Luminous Intensity, The amount of subtance. they are represented by the symbols for dimension [M], [L], [T], [ I ], [Θ], [J], and [N] .

Related to What Are the Dimensions and SI Units of Voltage?

1. What is voltage and how is it defined?

Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is defined as the amount of energy required to move one unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. What are the units of voltage and how are they measured?

The SI unit of voltage is the volt (V), which is equivalent to one joule per coulomb. Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit.

3. How does voltage affect electrical components?

Voltage determines the flow of current in a circuit, and different electrical components have different voltage requirements. Exceeding the recommended voltage can damage or even destroy the component, while insufficient voltage may cause it to malfunction.

4. Are there different types of voltage?

Yes, there are two main types of voltage: alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC). AC voltage alternates between positive and negative values, while DC voltage remains constant. AC is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

5. What is the difference between voltage and potential difference?

Voltage and potential difference are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Voltage is a general term for the potential difference between two points, while potential difference specifically refers to the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit.