What are the key concepts for solving trigonometric functions?

In summary, the function f(x) = sin(x)^2 - sin(x) for 0 < x < 3π/2 has three x-intercepts at x=0, π/2, and π. To find the intervals on which f is increasing, we can take the derivative of f(x) and find the values of x that make it equal to 0. Using this method, we can determine that f is increasing on the intervals 0 < x < π/6 and 5π/6 < x < π. To find the absolute maximum and minimum values of f, we need to understand how they are defined. With the attached figure, we can write sin α/cos α in terms of cos
sweetcomedygirl
Let f be the function defined by f(x) = sin(x)^2 - sin(x) for
0 < x < 3π/2
a. Find the x-intercepts of the graph of f.
b. Find the intervals on which f is increasing.
c. Find the absolute maximum value and the absolute minimum value of f.

I found the x-intercepts to be x=0, π/2, and π, but for part b I know I need to take the derivative of f(x), but I don't know how, and when I tried to do so on my calculator I couldn't decipher the graph that it was showing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f(x) = sin^2(x) - sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]f'(x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) - cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]2sin(x)cos(x) - cos(x) = 0[/tex]
[tex]cos(x)(2sin(x) - 1) = 0[/tex]
Solve for [tex]cos(x) = 0[/tex] & [tex]sin(x) = 0.5[/tex]

Then you need to test values for all x values that satisfy those equations within the boundary [tex]0 < x < \frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

trig question

I was trying to prove the identity of cos(A+B)= Cos A Cos B - Sin A Sin B, i couldn't do it. Would u be able to direct me step by step to prove that .

sweetcomedygirl: in (c), how are abs. min. and abs. max. defined?

rebecca: You can start with the attached figure. Then, you can write sin α/cos α in terms of cos β, sin β, and cos(α+β)/sin α.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.bmp
    155.9 KB · Views: 461

Related to What are the key concepts for solving trigonometric functions?

1. What is Trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it is used in a wide range of fields such as engineering, physics, architecture, and astronomy to solve problems involving angles and distances.

2. What are the three basic trigonometric functions?

The three basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to find the ratio of the lengths of the sides of a right triangle.

3. How do you find the missing side of a right triangle using trigonometry?

To find the missing side of a right triangle using trigonometry, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem or one of the trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, or tangent) depending on the given information.

4. How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, as well as algebraic manipulation. You can also use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the solutions.

5. What are the common applications of Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in many real-world applications such as navigation, surveying, and construction. It is also used in astronomy to calculate the distances between celestial objects, in physics to analyze the motion of objects, and in engineering to design and construct structures.