What are the steps to solve a work problem?

In summary, the question is asking for an equation that will tell you the power necessary for a person to run up a hill.
LexRunner
I know there isn't a "set in stone" step by step procedure to solve work problems, but if someone could give me a basic procedure it would be greatly appreaciated. When ever I read a work problem, unless it is a simple "plug in the value" works equation problem, I do not understand how to start off the problem. Maybe its just that I don't understand the concept?
For example, can you make a procedure that fits this problem:
"Calculate the average power output necessary for a 55.8 kg person to run up a 12.0 m long hillside, which is inclined at 25.0° above the horizontal, in 3.00 s. Express your answer in horsepower."

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Determine what the question is asking for. In this case it's obvious: The question is asking for "average power".
  • Know your units. In this case, power is energy per unit time.
  • Filter out the irrelevant information. In this case, the person is running up a hill. From a biomechanical perspective, it takes a good deal of energy to run on flat ground for 26 miles. From a physics perspective, how humans run is irrelevant.
  • Determine what is relevant. In this case, it's vertical distance.
  • There are some things you just have to know. In this case, it's the relation between change in altitude and energy.
  • Watch out for tricks. In this case, you're not quite finished when you get an answer in joules. You need to convert to horsepower.
  • Answer the question!

This is one area of physics that I think gets easier when you get to more advanced levels, where such a procedure exists.

But for basic physics I would say to try this. Just quickly ask yourself what is doing the work, and what is it doing the work on. Then just quickly think about W=F*d to predict the sign of the work.
Then to actually find the value you can either use W=F*d or W=-ΔU where U is potential energy. (in case you don't know ΔU = Ufinal - Uinitial)

I saw the other thread you made in which you were asking about when to use PE or KE (which I'll label U and T). Notice I didn't write an equation involving T (kinetic energy) above, because the cases in which you substitute T for work come from W=-ΔU too. Usually this is because the problem will be a situation in which ΔU=-ΔT.
So then you can see that if W=-ΔU then for that specific problem work must also be W=ΔT and you can pick whichever one is easier to solve.

However, in this problem you do not have a free-body moving under the influence of only external forces (because the human is generating internal forces to run) so ΔU is not equal to -ΔT and therefore you cannot use kinetic energy to solve this problem, and you use potential energy U instead.

Also, if you are getting hung up on signs, just be aware that a lot of teachers and even textbooks get lazy with their signs for work and sometimes get the signs wrong. Just a warning so you don't waste too much time troubling over work signs like I remember doing.

Related to:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...in-kinetic-energy-or-potential-energy.777302/
Maybe its just that I don't understand the concept?
... it is important to understand what you are being asked for, yes.
Perhaps you should work through some examples, showing us how you are thinking about each problem?

spl-083902 said:
However, in this problem you do not have a free-body moving under the influence of only external forces (because the human is generating internal forces to run) so ΔU is not equal to -ΔT and therefore you cannot use kinetic energy to solve this problem, and you use potential energy U instead.
... actually, if a change in speed were given, then the runner would have to generate the power, internally, for that too; and you may have to use KE for the calculation as well. They key is that the total change in energy is zero.

Sometimes the question has to be read carefully:
In the example, the question does not care about the work to change speed, or pant or keep running or anything else, - only the work to get to the top of the hill.

Last edited:

I understand that solving work problems can be challenging, especially when it involves multiple concepts and variables. However, there are some general steps that can be followed to approach and solve any work problem. These steps are not set in stone and may vary depending on the specific problem, but they can serve as a guide to help you understand and solve the problem.

1. Read and understand the problem: The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify the given information, what is being asked, and any relevant equations or concepts that may be involved.

2. Identify the variables and units: Once you have a clear understanding of the problem, identify the variables involved and their corresponding units. This will help you set up the appropriate equations to solve the problem.

3. Draw a diagram: In many work problems, a diagram can be helpful in visualizing the scenario and understanding the relationships between the variables. Draw a diagram that accurately represents the situation described in the problem.

4. Determine the appropriate equation: Based on the given information and the variables involved, determine the most appropriate equation to use. It can be helpful to write down all the relevant equations and see which one can be applied to solve the problem.

5. Substitute and solve: Once you have identified the appropriate equation, substitute the given values and units into the equation. Make sure to convert units if necessary. Then, solve for the unknown variable.

6. Check your answer: After solving the problem, double-check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem. If possible, try using a different approach or equation to verify your answer.

Now, let's apply these steps to the given problem: "Calculate the average power output necessary for a 55.8 kg person to run up a 12.0 m long hillside, which is inclined at 25.0° above the horizontal, in 3.00 s. Express your answer in horsepower."

1. Read and understand the problem: A person's power output is being calculated as they run up a hill with given mass, distance, and time. The answer is expected in horsepower.

2. Identify the variables and units: Given variables are mass (m = 55.8 kg), distance (d = 12.0 m), time (t = 3.00 s), and angle (θ = 25.0°). The units are kg, m, s, and °.

1. What is the first step in solving a work problem?

The first step in solving a work problem is to clearly define the problem. This involves identifying what is causing the problem and what the desired outcome or solution is.

2. How do you gather information to solve a work problem?

To gather information, you can conduct research, gather data, and consult with experts or colleagues. It is important to gather as much relevant information as possible to fully understand the problem.

3. What is the importance of brainstorming in solving a work problem?

Brainstorming allows for the generation of multiple ideas and solutions to a problem. This can help to identify the best approach and potential roadblocks, as well as encourage creativity and collaboration.

4. How do you evaluate potential solutions to a work problem?

Potential solutions should be evaluated based on their feasibility, effectiveness, and alignment with the desired outcome. It is also important to consider potential risks and drawbacks of each solution.

5. What is the final step in solving a work problem?

The final step in solving a work problem is to implement and monitor the chosen solution. This involves putting the solution into action and evaluating its effectiveness in addressing the problem. If necessary, adjustments can be made to improve the solution.