Choosing a High School Physics Book: Where to Start?

• Thread starter JWHooper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for a physics book to read after completing a high school physics class. One suggestion is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday/Resnick if they have also studied Calculus. Another recommendation is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which has a corresponding NOVA program.
JWHooper
Hi,

I just took high school physics class last year (motion, fluids, magnetism, electricity... I hope you assume the general high school physics topics). I don't know what physics book that I should buy and read. Can anyone give me the topic that I should start working on?

Thanks,
J.

Physics news on Phys.org
JWHooper said:
Hi,

I just took high school physics class last year (motion, fluids, magnetism, electricity... I hope you assume the general high school physics topics). I don't know what physics book that I should buy and read. Can anyone give me the topic that I should start working on?

Thanks,
J.

If you've done Calculus in high school then "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday/Resnick.

Thanks.

Just in case, can anyone else give more topics that I can study?

"The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is brilliant. That's what's gotten me, hook line and sinker, into physics.

There's also a NOVA program based on the book, you can find the DVDs on Amazon or Netflix, or you can stream it off of NOVA's site.

1. What should I look for in a high school physics book?

When choosing a high school physics book, it is important to look for a book that covers all the necessary topics, has clear explanations and examples, includes practice problems and exercises, and is appropriate for your level of understanding.

2. Should I consider the author or publisher of the book?

Yes, the author and publisher can play a significant role in the quality of the book. Look for books written by reputable authors and published by well-known publishers in the field of physics.

3. Is it important to check the edition of the book?

Yes, it is important to choose the latest edition of a physics book as it may include updated information and may be aligned with the current curriculum. However, if the book is well-written and covers all the necessary topics, an older edition may also be suitable.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in a physics book?

Some features to consider when choosing a physics book include visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations, real-life examples and applications, and online resources such as practice quizzes and interactive simulations.

5. How can I ensure that the book I choose is appropriate for my level of understanding?

One way to ensure that the book is appropriate for your level is to check the recommended grade level or prerequisites listed on the book. You can also skim through the book to get a sense of the difficulty level and see if it aligns with your current knowledge and understanding of physics.