What cocktail suits your personality

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: The drink has a pungent smell of anise that sticks on your breath (very similar to black licorice or... cough... absinthe).
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.playbuzz.com/weekendcollective10/which-classic-cocktail-is-your-personality

Try it i came out with an Irish coffee.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vodka sprite.
This doesn't describe me at all :)
spirits make me sick.
I prefer lighter varieties of red wine. I like being able to get into the right mood slowly and sipping for a couple of hours (with mineral water after each glass of wine) without laughing, vomiting or sleeping :-)
With vodka, you have 2-3 shots in an hour (because your glass gets empty very fast so someone will surely pour some more for you) and you are ruined for the rest of the evening :-)

Last edited:
I got Old Fashioned, but I think cheap rye straight from the bottle better describes how me and my friends behaved. Thankfully those days are long over.

Perhaps absinthe for me.

But before casting judgement, realize that there are a lot of misconceptions about the drink. A lot. If it's today considered a "mysterious" drink, it's not because of its innate qualities, but rather propaganda surrounding it. This is an example of crackpottery [perhaps unsubstantiated market manipulation is a better term] that took over an otherwise respectable drink.

collinsmark said:
Perhaps absinthe for me.

But before casting judgement, realize that there are a lot of misconceptions about the drink. A lot. If it's today considered a "mysterious" drink, it's not because of its innate qualities, but rather propaganda surrounding it. This is an example of crackpottery [perhaps unsubstantiated market manipulation is a better term] that took over an otherwise respectable drink.
Why is it considered a mysterious drink?

Sophia said:
Why is it considered a mysterious drink?
There's just so many misconceptions about it.

I had typed up a lengthy response, but now I realize, being in the spirit of Physics Forums, that perhaps its better if the reader researched the evidence himself/herself. There's a lot of colorful history involved. Whether you're a historian or a scientist, you might likely find it fascinating.

[Edit: Just make sure you invoke your critical thinking skills when researching. -- Again, there's a lot of misinformation out there.]

Likes Sophia
collinsmark said:
There's a lot of colorful history involved.

Largely green, I believe. (I have actually seen the Degas L'Absinthe.)

Likes collinsmark
Vanadium 50 said:
Largely green, I believe. (I have actually seen the Degas L'Absinthe.)
Wow. 'Looking at that some more, that is an amazing painting.

Notice the overall picture is in kind of greenish tint. But boy howdy the color the glass of absinthe itself is more precise than than I've ever seen a glass of absinthe painted before. That is a wonderful paining.

[By the way, absinthe is really high in alcohol content (even though it's traditionally mixed with water [as it should be --the green doesn't louche until you add the water]), and I don't recommend anybody drinking it any more than I would recommend other high alcohol content beverages (which I don't -- be careful with such drinks). All I mean to say is that take the misinformation about absinthe with a grain of salt, and trust your research skills and critical thinking instead].

Besides, if you don't like black licorice [sic. it's actually anise that makes most of the flavor] you probably wouldn't like it anyway.

Last edited:
Van Gogh was a famous consumer of Absinthe.

For myself, it is jonge jenever, pure and from the freezer, with Hollandse nieuwe. Mmm... :smile:
(Apologies for my broad interpretation of the concept of a cocktail.)

Sorry for not letting the absinthe thing go, but I found this, which is really a pretty good summary. It's from the History channel (Ancient Aliens ?! :nb) Good god, but no -- :woot: no, I don't think the Ancient Aliens marketing got into this one, fortunately [still it's hard to trust the History Channel after that show]. But this video is pretty objective as far as I can tell).

I do like Jade brand absinthe, btw. It's about the best absinthe brand out there, although it's a bit pricey*. Very good though.

*(Especially having to "smuggle" it in from France before 2007. Fortunately that's not an issue now, but there's still the shipping costs none-the-less which are still not cheap.)

Last edited:
Likes Sophia and S.G. Janssens
collinsmark said:
Sorry for not letting the absinthe thing go, but I found this, which is really a pretty good summary..

Thanks! This was nice to watch, maybe I will give it a try. Is there something that one typically eats with this? (I usually like to have something to go with my liquor, even if it's small.)

Krylov said:
Thanks! This was nice to watch, maybe I will give it a try. Is there something that one typically eats with this? (I usually like to have something to go with my liquor, even if it's small.)
Good question. I don't know.

Before you order though, realize it has a pungent smell of anise that sticks on your breath (very similar to black licorice or Greek Ouzo, or Italian Sambuka, maybe even German Jagermeister). If you don't like that taste, you probably will not like absinthe. 'Not to mention, absinthe is slightly more bitter than even those due to the wormwood. It's an acquired taste if you ask me. Oh, and you can't chug it. don't even try. It's a sipping drink. If somebody tries to convince you to do a shot of absinthe, please decline. That's just wrong. Oh, so wrong. [Edit: and don't drink it straight either. You must pour an amount of ice cold water on it such that it louches -- turns a bit cloudy, ideally with a small layer of oil at the top, although that's not a huge deal if you miss.]

Given that the smell sticks on your breath, a bit of food might be a fine idea. At least in theory. But if you've resigned yourself to start drinking absinthe I don't think it really matters at that point.

By the way, pouring water over a sugar cube on top of an absinthe spoon is traditional, yet the sugar is also completely optional (not the water though), even by tradition. Myself, I prefer no sugar at all. Even in my case, that's not necessarily just because I'm afraid of sugar, but it's also just my preference. Even traditionally, sugar is optional with absinthe. It's like sugar with coffee or tea: it's up to personal preference.

Last edited:
Corpse Reviver #2.

There really is such a thing.

Likes Sophia and collinsmark
1 ounce Angostura bitters
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
Throw it away and pour an 18 yr Glenmorangie

I once sipped a little wine introduced while being on a plane and I slept for more than 3 hours right then. You sound as if taking liquors was like drinking fresh water.:DD

Likes Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
I once sipped a little wine introduced while being on a plane and I slept for more than 3 hours right then. You sound as if taking liquors was like drinking fresh water.:DD
Haha that's right! in my experience, the more you drink, the easier it becomes to have another one. :-) that's why I like to stop after 2 or 3 glasses because after that stopping is difficult :-)

And wine makes me sleepy too

Sophia said:
Haha that's right! in my experience, the more you drink, the easier it becomes to have another one. :-) that's why I like to stop after 2 or 3 glasses because after that stopping is difficult :-)

And wine makes me sleepy too
We can be sisters.:DD I sip some beer or other alcoholic drinks only during some special events. Drunk men look awful, drunk women look worse. Many people think drinking shows signs of masculinity (i.e strong men) and fairness (i.e men can do it so can women). All of my gay friends I've met at work are stars in drinking beer, they take at least 20 cans of Budweiser without having a single sign of a drunkard. I can take only 1/3 of one and almost get dizzy.

Likes Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
We can be sisters.:DD I sip some beer or other alcoholic drinks only during some special events. Drunk men look awful, drunk women look worse. Many people think drinking shows signs of masculinity (i.e strong men) and fairness (i.e men can do it so can women). All of my gay friends I've met at work are stars in drinking beer, they take at least 20 cans of Budweiser without having a single sign of a drunkard. I can take only 1/3 of one and almost get dizzy.

Exactly. And I hate that custom to drink only to get drunk. I like that nice warm feeling that comes after drinking (actually, I am having a glass of wine right now- cheers! :partytime: ). But I hate when I lose control. It happened a couple of times in the past, maybe everyone has to go through adolescence and party a bit but it doesn't make me feel cool or interesting any more.

Sophia said:
Exactly. And I hate that custom to drink only to get drunk. I like that nice warm feeling that comes after drinking (actually, I am having a glass of wine right now- cheers! :partytime: ). But I hate when I lose control. It happened a couple of times in the past, maybe everyone has to go through adolescence and party a bit but it doesn't make me feel cool or interesting any more.

I used to drink a LOT but i am teetotal now and it is much better, getting drunk is a pathetic cry for attention or escapism.

Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
... But I hate when I lose control. It happened a couple of times in the past, maybe everyone has to go through adolescence and party a bit but it doesn't make me feel cool or interesting any more.
15 years ago I was a serious introvert. My college days were always filled with loneliness and sadness. I didn't know when I changed myself. Sometimes I see me again in some of the guys in my office (e.g never want to hang around with anyone, always have some excuses to refuse to join our parties, team building events, rarely chat or talk to us but when our boss shows up they act as if they were very eager :biggrin:)

wolram said:
http://www.playbuzz.com/weekendcollective10/which-classic-cocktail-is-your-personality

Try it i came out with an Irish coffee.

That's what it gave me but I'm a Lagavulin kind of guy. Still I drink moderately and only started after I turned 50 and learned that there was no bonus for dying with a pristine liver.

Likes wolram
Silicon Waffle said:
15 years ago I was a serious introvert. My college days were always filled with loneliness and sadness. I didn't know when I changed myself. Sometimes I see me again in some of the guys in my office (e.g never want to hang around with anyone, always have some excuses to refuse to join our parties, team building events, rarely chat or talk to us but when our boss shows up they act as if they were very eager :biggrin:)

Awww, poor Silicon Waffle, i am glad you changed your self.:biggrin:

Likes Silicon Waffle

1. What factors determine which cocktail suits my personality?

The cocktail that suits your personality is determined by a combination of your personal preferences and the characteristics of different types of cocktails. Some factors that may influence this include your taste preferences, the occasion, and your mood.

2. How can I find out what cocktail suits my personality?

There are various online quizzes and tests that can help you determine which cocktail suits your personality. These quizzes usually ask questions about your preferences and habits, and use algorithms to match you with a suitable cocktail.

3. Is there a scientific basis for matching cocktails to personalities?

While there is no concrete scientific evidence, there are studies that show a correlation between certain personality traits and drink preferences. For example, extroverted individuals tend to prefer stronger and more adventurous drinks, while introverted individuals may lean towards milder and more familiar drinks.

4. Can my personality change the type of cocktail I enjoy?

Your personality can definitely influence your drink preferences, but it is not the only factor. Your taste buds and experiences also play a role in determining your preferred cocktail. Additionally, as your tastes and preferences evolve over time, your preferred cocktail may also change.

5. Are there any health risks associated with drinking a cocktail that suits my personality?

Drinking in moderation and choosing a cocktail that suits your personality should not pose any major health risks. However, it is important to be aware of any allergies or sensitivities you have to certain ingredients in a cocktail. It is also important to drink responsibly and in moderation to avoid any potential health risks.