Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What college major seems the worst to you?

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    If you personally had to decide on the college major that you would probably be the most bored studying which one would it be?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2
    Physics. :tongue:

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Communications or English

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4
    Woman Studies

6. Aug 14, 2011 #5
    art, English, communications,

7. Aug 14, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Law, business, anything practical

8. Aug 14, 2011 #7
    Anything that wouldn't really teach you anything about how the universe works. In other words: everything but the sciences.

9. Aug 14, 2011 #8
    What about engineering and medicine?

10. Aug 14, 2011 #9
    I would suck it up for the cash.

I would say anything that has to do with essay writing would be most painful for me.

11. Aug 14, 2011 #10

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Basket weaving, if there is such a thing.

12. Aug 14, 2011 #11
    I'm a physics major, and I would have avoided most the following five:

1. Communications (most boring)
    2. English (a worthy opponent to communications)
    3. Sociology (you don't learn any laws..)
    4. Business (wouldn't be learning enough)
    5. Political Science (politics is retarded)

I actually think art would be cool...

If you're going back to get a second degree though your priorities change and I would be more willing to do something like art because I now have a great college education already which would balance the weakness of art as a subject in college (you just learn too little about the non-art world, course this is true about most majors other than like physics/engineering/chemistry/math/etc.)

I dunno, I choose physics because I thought it was a mandatory first degree before you do another degree in life or switch to some other field. Like it is fundamental in all the science degrees so I don't know why you wouldn't start with it before you do something like chemistry/biology..

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  13. Aug 14, 2011 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

50-50. If you go into the academics, it's probably pretty boring (in fact, I tried out engineering in between physics and neuroscience. I found out I was surely of a scientific nature.)

But if you study physics or biology, applications in engineering or medicine that emerge from your studies are definitely rewarding to the ego, and thus, not so boring. They also make good motivation in proposals to actually do the work in the first place. For me, it's nice to see that all the abstract theory actually amounts to something in reality. But at the same time, I'll never leave the world of abstract theory for that reality.

14. Aug 14, 2011 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Accounting :zzz:

15. Aug 14, 2011 #14
    The one that requires a PhD to get a decent job, and still not making 6 figures. Not to mention the competitiveness and the lack of available jobs in the market.

Oh wait...

16. Aug 14, 2011 #15
    Anything involving humans, IE history, social studies, psychology, language, culture.

17. Aug 14, 2011 #16
    philosophy - a BS in BS

18. Aug 14, 2011 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Art History.

19. Aug 14, 2011 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no, art history sounds so cool! Really it's just an excuse to learn regular history, but you get to see a lot of nice art along the way.

Seriously, it's accounting :zzz:.

20. Aug 15, 2011 #19

Dembadon

Gold Member

I would probably have a difficult time making it through a degree in marketing without wanting to kill myself.

21. Aug 15, 2011 #20
    I find what's most boring to me is being forced to study something I already know at another's excruciatingly slow pace.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook