What college major seems the worst to you?

• Thread starter Neopets
  • Start date
If you personally had to decide on the college major that you would probably be the most bored studying which one would it be?

Answers and Replies

Physics. :tongue:

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Communications or English

Woman Studies

art, English, communications,

Law, business, anything practical

Anything that wouldn't really teach you anything about how the universe works. In other words: everything but the sciences.

What about engineering and medicine?

I would suck it up for the cash.

I would say anything that has to do with essay writing would be most painful for me.

gb7nash
Homework Helper
Basket weaving, if there is such a thing.

I'm a physics major, and I would have avoided most the following five:

1. Communications (most boring)
2. English (a worthy opponent to communications)
3. Sociology (you don't learn any laws..)
4. Business (wouldn't be learning enough)
5. Political Science (politics is retarded)

I actually think art would be cool...

If you're going back to get a second degree though your priorities change and I would be more willing to do something like art because I now have a great college education already which would balance the weakness of art as a subject in college (you just learn too little about the non-art world, course this is true about most majors other than like physics/engineering/chemistry/math/etc.)

I dunno, I choose physics because I thought it was a mandatory first degree before you do another degree in life or switch to some other field. Like it is fundamental in all the science degrees so I don't know why you wouldn't start with it before you do something like chemistry/biology..

Last edited:
Pythagorean
Gold Member
50-50. If you go into the academics, it's probably pretty boring (in fact, I tried out engineering in between physics and neuroscience. I found out I was surely of a scientific nature.)

But if you study physics or biology, applications in engineering or medicine that emerge from your studies are definitely rewarding to the ego, and thus, not so boring. They also make good motivation in proposals to actually do the work in the first place. For me, it's nice to see that all the abstract theory actually amounts to something in reality. But at the same time, I'll never leave the world of abstract theory for that reality.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Accounting :zzz:

The one that requires a PhD to get a decent job, and still not making 6 figures. Not to mention the competitiveness and the lack of available jobs in the market.

Oh wait...

Anything involving humans, IE history, social studies, psychology, language, culture.

philosophy - a BS in BS

turbo
Gold Member
Art History.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Art History.
Oh no, art history sounds so cool! Really it's just an excuse to learn regular history, but you get to see a lot of nice art along the way.

Seriously, it's accounting :zzz:.

Dembadon
Gold Member
I would probably have a difficult time making it through a degree in marketing without wanting to kill myself.

DoggerDan
I find what's most boring to me is being forced to study something I already know at another's excruciatingly slow pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
philosophy - a BS in BS
I would have gotten my degree in that if it wasn't for the fact that you can't really do much with just a BS.