Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What course have you found to be most useful?

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    Hey fellow forum members,

I just thought it would be interesting to hear what course you found to be most useful in your current day-to day role (occupation). It can be any course that you've taken at high school, undergraduate level, graduate level, or courses offered on coursera.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. Good question!

Statistics ranks pretty high - I use or see things I learned in that class probably every day.

General Chemistry.

Geometry.

Thermodynamics, but I rarely directly apply it directly. It just gave me a better understanding of "the world".

Statics/Mechanics of Materials (tie).

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    Differential equations. A very boring class, but very useful class as well.

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Arithmetic? If limited to high school, probably algebra and pre-calc.

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Technical writing is a big one. If you can't effectively communicate ideas, those ideas usually don't make it very far.

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6
    physics, more precisely, thermodynamics and mechanics - outside of the kitchen I work on anything with wheels.

8. Apr 9, 2014 #7
    Statistics for sure, now I wish I've learned a lot more about it, but that's because I'm a physicist going to financial mathematics.

9. Apr 10, 2014 #8
    Yeah that's a career path I'm considering (though I'm a physics undergrad), so I know I'll definitely need a lot of statistics/probability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook