What courses to take to prepare for MS in Electrical Engineering?

In summary: Taking some classes to prepare yourself is definitely a good idea. Getting recommendation letters may not be a problem as long as you take classes with professors who you have good relationships with. Have fun!In summary, most graduate programs want you to take Senior Level and Graduate courses. You may be able to cover a course or two at a lower level, but it would be best to get those out of the way first. You'll need to take two semesters of Calculus-based physics, and you should be able to get by without any physics courses if you've already taken some.
yalo55
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to apply for MS in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Computer Engineering. I have BS degree in Applied Mathematics with Emphasis in Computational Science. My question is what physics or engineering classes would you recommend to take before starting the program? What courses are an absolute must? I'm planning to apply for Fall 2018 so I have some time to prepare myself for the program.

I would appreciate your feedback!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
yalo55 said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to apply for MS in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Computer Engineering. I have BS degree in Applied Mathematics with Emphasis in Computational Science. My question is what physics or engineering classes would you recommend to take before starting the program? What courses are an absolute must? I'm planning to apply for Fall 2018 so I have some time to prepare myself for the program.

I would appreciate your feedback!
Thank you!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you applying at the same school where you got your undergrad degree? If so, you should have access to advisers who can help you out. If not, you should still be able to contact somebody at your new school to ask this question. They would be able to give you better school-specific advice than we can.

Beyond that, I'd look at the syllabus for your graduate degree, and think about what it looks like you may need to brush up on to be able to handle those new courses... Have fun!

Likes yalo55 and jasonRF
From what I've gathered, most graduate programs want you taking Senior Level and Graduate courses. You might be able to cover a course or two at a lower level once you're admitted, but it would be best to get those out of the way first.

You'll definitely need to take two semesters of Calculus-based physics if you haven't already. Based on all the math you have, that should be no problem for you.

Likes yalo55
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you applying at the same school where you got your undergrad degree? If so, you should have access to advisers who can help you out. If not, you should still be able to contact somebody at your new school to ask this question. They would be able to give you better school-specific advice than we can.

Beyond that, I'd look at the syllabus for your graduate degree, and think about what it looks like you may need to brush up on to be able to handle those new courses... Have fun!

Thank you for your response.
I will be applying to a different school not the same school where I got my undergrad. I'm trying to contact advising services but I haven't received any response yet.
Thanks for your advice, I'll take a look at the syllabus for my graduate program.

rwm4768 said:
From what I've gathered, most graduate programs want you taking Senior Level and Graduate courses. You might be able to cover a course or two at a lower level once you're admitted, but it would be best to get those out of the way first.

You'll definitely need to take two semesters of Calculus-based physics if you haven't already. Based on all the math you have, that should be no problem for you.

Thank you for your response! I thought schools usually give you some time to catch up. I was planning to take some CS and Physics courses to prepare myself. Another concern that I have is recommendation letters. I graduated 4 years ago so I think taking some classes will help me to get some recommendation letters from professors.

1. What are the core courses to take for an MS in Electrical Engineering?

The core courses for an MS in Electrical Engineering typically include subjects such as circuit analysis, electromagnetics, digital systems, and electronics. These courses provide a strong foundation in the fundamentals of electrical engineering and are essential for advanced study in the field.

2. Are there any specific math courses that I should take to prepare for an MS in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, mathematics is a crucial component of electrical engineering. It is recommended to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations to develop a strong mathematical background that will be necessary for advanced coursework in electrical engineering.

3. Are there any programming courses that would be beneficial for an MS in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, programming skills are highly valued in the field of electrical engineering. Courses in programming languages such as C++, Python, and MATLAB can be beneficial in developing the necessary skills for data analysis and simulation in electrical engineering.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for a specialization in a particular area of electrical engineering?

Yes, depending on your area of interest, there may be specific courses that you can take to prepare for a specialization. For example, if you are interested in power systems, courses in power electronics, renewable energy, and power system analysis would be beneficial. It is important to research the curriculum of the MS program you are interested in to determine any specific requirements for your chosen specialization.

5. Can I take any courses outside of electrical engineering to prepare for an MS in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, there are courses outside of electrical engineering that can be beneficial for an MS in Electrical Engineering. These include courses in physics, materials science, and computer science. These courses can provide a broader understanding of the field and may be required for certain specializations. However, it is important to prioritize taking core courses in electrical engineering to build a strong foundation before taking courses outside of the field.