1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do these wierd square brackets mean? [| |]

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    What do these wierd square brackets mean??? [| |]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my BC Calc summer homework (taking the course next school year), I came across these odd square brackets in a limit problem and have no clue what they mean. I've looked all over the internet and cannot find anything similar. They're like [] but have two vertical lines on each bracket instead of the just one.

this is the best representation I can give:
    [| x - 1|]

The problem is this:
    lim [| x - 1 |]
    x -> 4

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    For now I just kind of ignored the brackets and just plugged in 4 for x and got 3.

Please help! I am thoroughly confused and extensively frustrated. >=(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Re: What do these wierd square brackets mean??? [| |]

the inside bars stand for the absolute value function. the outer brackets stand for the floor function I guess. I hope I understood your post correctly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

I think these brackets ( [ ] ) represent greatest integer function. [x] means greatest integer less than equal to x. In all the question that i have faced if it ( [ ] ) represent greatest integer function then it is mentioned in the question. Is it mentioned in your case ?

and | | modulas function. You need to learn this from book. And i am sure that it is modulas function
    You need to learn about these two function before doing question.
    I am not sure that [ ] represent greatest integer function if it is not mentioned.

what is answer it that limit does not exist.todays I am also learning limits.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did they look more like ⟦ and ⟧ ? (I super-sized them for clarity.)

Added in Edit:

Assuming that the symbols ( ⟦ , ⟧ ) are correct, they are used to represent the greatest integer function, also known as the 'floor function'. See this http://www.mathwords.com/f/floor_function.htm" [Broken].

I suspect that there is no absolute value involved at all, simply the floor function.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook