Positions & Agendas Supported in US - Get Informed

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary: Mostly unregulated imports and trade -- I'm all for it. Less government interference is always a good thing.Elimination of the National debt -- Meh, I could go either way on this one.Throw out the existing tax structure -- I don't like the current tax system, but I don't like the idea of completely replacing it with something I'm not familiar with either.Increase taxes on the rich -- Meh, I don't really have an opinion on this one. Several of those were too vague or too specific (simplistic) to really answer, but depending on the specifics of the proposals, I might support any of the last

Check what you support

• Ban all private gun ownership [more or less]

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Abortion made illegal

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Amnesty for illegal aliens

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Allow domestic wire taps without oversight

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Strong environmental protection laws

Votes: 39 65.0%
  • Mostly unregulated imports and trade

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Elimination of the National debt

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Throw out the existing tax structure

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Increase taxes on the rich

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which positions or agendas do you support [U.S.]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Several of those were too vague or too specific (simplistic) to really answer, but depending on the specifics of the proposals, I might support any of the last 5.

Last edited:
Yes, quite vague, but that never stopped me before. I support the following:

Abortion made illegal
Amnesty for illegal aliens
Strong environmental protection laws
Mostly unregulated imports and trade
Throw out the existing tax structure
Increase taxes on the rich

One big 'IF' here is whether you mean state law or federal law. The Articles of Confederation and the U.S. Constitution made very clear what the people wanted--state sovereignty, and with the purpose of the federal government strictly to protect that state sovereignty and nothing else.

95% of what the current U.S. Federal Government does is unconstitutional. Most or all of these issues in this poll are up to the states. In fact, it is the state's DUTY to defy the federal government when it violates the Constitution. This is why I hope politically minded people stop thinking of state politics as boring and of little consequence, when, in fact, the only way to keep the federal government in check is with state governments willing to stand up against it, like when California defies federal marijuana laws.

So because of the current power grab of the federal government, I find it wiser to give states more power than either the people or the federal government. A pure libertarian gives freedom to the people, then state, then fed, in that order. I give it to states, then people, then fed... until the federal government gets back in line. I do this because states have a lot more power to subdue the federal government (by defying it) than do the people, so states must have more power at the moment. Besides, people have freedom to move to a different state if they don't like the state they live in. Its the free market in the political arena.

I decided to assume you meant state law for this poll. Here's how I believe:

NO - Ban all private gun ownership [more or less]
YES - Abortion made illegal
DEPENDS - Amnesty for illegal aliens
NO - Allow domestic wire taps without oversight
DEPENDS - Strong environmental protection laws
YES - Mostly unregulated imports and trade
YES - Elimination of the National debt
YES (FairTax) - Throw out the existing tax structure
NO - Increase taxes on the rich

russ_watters said:
Several of those were too vague or too specific (simplistic) to really answer, but depending on the specifics of the proposals, I might support any of the last 5.

Could you specify what you didn't understand?

I strongly support abortion being legal.

Ivan, does the [U.S.] clause in the poll question mean that the question is directed only at US citizens? Or is it directed at everyone ABOUT the US?

Meanwhile...

Ban all private gun ownership [more or less] - still undecided
Abortion made illegal - no, why?
Amnesty for illegal aliens - some, not total
Allow domestic wire taps without oversight - allow NOTHING without oversight
Strong environmental protection laws - strongER within reason
Mostly unregulated imports and trade - remove tariff but retain health/safety requirements
Elimination of the National debt - definitely
Throw out the existing tax structure - replaced by what?
Increase taxes on the rich - flat income/sales tax for all, no exception

fleem said:
YES - Abortion made illegal

Why would you make abortion illegal? To me that is nonsensical-- do people not have the freedom of choice in your vision of society?

out of whack said:
Ivan, does the [U.S.] clause in the poll question mean that the question is directed only at US citizens? Or is it directed at everyone ABOUT the US?

This was intended for the US and US citizens but it doesn't really matter. Everyone has a voice here. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I support giving maps to all the U.S. Americans who can't afford them.

I voted none of the above, but might support a few of those depending on how they were accomplished or what they were replaced with (i.e., environmental protection laws, and the last three).

Ban all private gun ownership [more or less] -- No, but ammunition should be much more expensive.
Abortion made illegal -- Hell No, I'm not about to butcher women's rights in exchange for something that may become be a human being one day. At least Two-Thirds of Blastocysts flush away with the next period anyway, so by the logic most anti-abortionists produce God agrees with me.
Amnesty for illegal aliens -- We are supposed to be the great melting pot. Rather a dozen guilty go free then one innocent suffer and all that rot.
Allow domestic wire taps without oversight -- **** No. This is alone would make the Bush administration deserving of a human rights abuse trial in my humble opinion.
Strong environmental protection laws -- Since most the counter arguements seem based on appeals to human greed and stupidity I'm going to have to agree. I don't feel particularly attached to nature either but at least there's something better being appealled to.
Mostly unregulated imports and trade -- I was going to say yes, but my regulations while simple are to broad to say yes in good conscience. Nothing coming in or going out to countries whose governments are known for human rights abuses. Also, nothing coming in that would qualify as a human rights abuse- like liquid mercury laced candy.
Elimination of the National debt -- The fact that we even have one as large is evidence of corruption and wanton greed in my mind.
Throw out the existing tax structure -- Basically a Flat tax for all.
Increase taxes on the rich -- No loopholes that the rich can really exploit in the flat tax so in effect it would be a massive tax increase, although technically on paper it would look like a cut.

Math Is Hard said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:

Running for Miss...um...I think I need a map to remember what you'd be "Miss" of? :biggrin:

Huh. Making abortion illegal is more predominant than I would have expected.

Moonbear said:
Running for Miss...um...I think I need a map to remember what you'd be "Miss" of? :biggrin:

Miss Cartographer

Math Is Hard said:
US Americans, as opposed to the South African Americans or the The Iraq Americans. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Mischief! :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

Are we looking at the same poll?

DaveC426913 said:

I'm more surprised about the lack of support to eliminate national debt :confused:

ShawnD said:
I'm more surprised about the lack of support to eliminate national debt :confused:

I'd support reduction, but the goal of complete elimination would require some rather drastic measures to accomplish any time soon. So, maybe it's a matter of interpretation there.

There are also fundamental economic arguments for having a debt. I would have to look them up but I have read about this before.

GleefulNihilism said:
Abortion made illegal -- Hell No, I'm not about to butcher women's rights in exchange for something that may become be a human being one day. At least Two-Thirds of Blastocysts flush away with the next period anyway, so by the logic most
Ok, but at one point do you believe the human being comes into existence?

Ivan Seeking said:
There are also fundamental economic arguments for having a debt. I would have to look them up but I have read about this before.

I heard that too, but I can't remember what the reason was.

This is a bit off topic, but my home province of Alberta eliminated the provincial debt a few years back, and they no longer issue bonds. Provincial profits now go into what's called the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund, which is now worth about 16 billion. Last year it gave a dividend and everybody in the province received a check for $400, just in time for the election :wink:

Not quite sure why a country can't do the same thing.

Ivan Seeking said:

Yeah, I have vague recollection of reading that somewhere too, but am not using it as part of my argument because I can't recall any details, or even if it was a reasonable argument I ended up even agreeing with.

I think that chronic and accumulating debt is not good. Of course, those doing debt service have a vested interest in maintain or increasing debt. Those cost of debt on the many is the profit/income of a few.

Office_Shredder said:
Are we looking at the same poll?
I'm surprised it's more than zero.

It looks like "good debt" is when the government takes loans to get the economy going again, such as give tax cuts and run a deficit when the economy is in a slump. Can't find anything else.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm surprised it's more than zero.
Why would you be surprised?
http://www.pollingreport.com/abortion.htm" Poll Oct '07:
"Do you think abortion should be legal in all cases, legal in most cases, illegal in most cases, or illegal in all cases?"
Oct '07 %
Legal in All Cases 21
Legal in Most Cases 32
Illegal in Most Cases 24
Illegal in All Cases 14
Unsure 8

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
Why would you make abortion illegal? To me that is nonsensical-- do people not have the freedom of choice in your vision of society?
In my vision of society people would have as much freedom of choice as makes sense and no more. After all, rapists would not be allowed freedom to choose their victims in your vision of society, right? Why are you against freedom of choice? In my vision, women would still have the right to choose, but not the right to choose murder any more than men would. My ancestors in Europe were at the loosing end of a political debate as to whether they were human or not. I don't want to go through that again.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know all the ins and outs of this, but I wonder if the economic downturn at the end of the Clinton and beginning of the Bush administrations was not caused by the enormous surpluses in the previous years. Perhaps running the government at a profit is no better than running it at a loss.

cristo said:

Since you interpreted what I said as a defense of anarchy, I can see that attempting to explain myself to you further would be a waste of time. However, for the benefit of anyone else reading this, I was mainly thinking of partial birth abortion. By defending abortion in general, you actively defend, and thus are guilty of, partial birth abortion. You cannot claim ignorance since a few minutes research reveals the following:

While most babies are in their 20th to 24th week when aborted in this manner, babies are aborted as late as the ninth month. This was admitted to by abortionist McMahon who, in 1995, submitted to the House Judiciary Constitution Subcommittee a graph and explanation that showed he aborted healthy babies even in the third trimester. The graph included a substantial number aborted in the ninth month.

Ron Fitzsimmons, the executive director of the National Coalition of Abortion Providers admitted on ABC’s “Nightline” (11/95) that he had lied when he asserted the procedure was used rarely and only on women whose lives were in danger. The reality is, this method of killing partially born babies is done many thousands of times a year. Abortionist, Dr. McMahon, admitted in 1995 to performing over 2000 partial birth abortions.

Brenda Pratt Shafer, a registered nurse from Dayton, Ohio, assisted Dr. Haskell in a Partial Birth Abortion on a 26-1/2 week (over 6 months) pre-born baby boy. She testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee (on 11/17/95) about what she witnessed. According to nurse Shafer, the baby was alive and moving as the abortionist “delivered the baby’s body and arms - everything but the head. The doctor kept the baby’s head just inside the uterus. The baby’s little fingers were clasping and unclasping, his feet were kicking. Then the doctor stuck the scissors through the back of his head, and the baby’s arms jerked out in a flinch, a startle reaction, like a baby does when he thinks he might fall. The doctor opened up the scissors, stuck a high-powered suction tube into the opening and sucked the baby’s brains out. Now the baby was completely limp.”

You know, none of that is relevant, fleem. Unless this one man, all by himself, makes up a signficant proportion of all abortinists, his testimonial doesn't tell us anything about the general state of things. And the emotional appeal emphasizes that you really don't have a rational argument.

(And, for the record, I am generally against abortions)

Ivan Seeking said:
Could you specify what you didn't understand?
It wasn't a lack of understanding. "Increase taxes on the rich", for example, is basically just a meaningless slogan and so unanswerable. There are proposals that I would support and proposals that I wouldn't. For example, I would not generally support the increase of only the top marginal tax bracket. I would, however, support the closing of a number of tax loopholes, such as the use of capital gains as income being taxable as income. Of course, I'd also want to include in that another exception for waiving capital gains for someone selling one house to buy another one.

"Strong environmental protection laws" is obviously a matter of opinion. What I would consider "strong environmental protection laws" and what you would are likely to be entirely different things. So the poll question really is very generic.

"Elimination of the national debt" has already been covered. As others pointed out, you probably don't want to eliminate it completely, but dropping it to 1/10 or 1/100th (perhaps) of its current size should be universally seen as a good thing.

Actually, maybe there is one that I just don't understand: By "Throw out the existing tax structure", do you mean just trashing the existing tax code and writing a new, simpler one but with the same structure? That also sounds good as a slogan, but may or may not be practical. Or do you mean getting rid of the progressive income tax and going for a flat tax, national income tax, or something else? I would definitely not be in favor of that (heck, most people who are in favor of those things aren't as in favor of them as they think they are).

Hurkyl said:
You know, none of that is relevant, fleem. Unless this one man, all by himself, makes up a signficant proportion of all abortinists, his testimonial doesn't tell us anything about the general state of things. And the emotional appeal emphasizes that you really don't have a rational argument.

(And, for the record, I am generally against abortions)

How on Earth can you say a claim that partial birth abortion is done fairly frequently, which is made by the Executive Director of the National Coalition of Abortion Providers (who most certainly has a reason to downplay the frequency of partial birth abortions), tells us nothing about the probable frequency of partial birth abortion?

Certainly very few things in life are absolutely provable. That's why the vast majority of decisions we make must be based on probabilities. The statement by this fellow, in light of who he is and what his agenda would be, notably increases the probability that partial birth abortions are occurring frequently. No, it doesn't prove it. But the scientific process never said that all statements are false until absolutely proven true.

You also appear confused about the purpose of the last paragraph. Logic is a tool we use to attain our goals, but it cannot possible tell us what those goals should be. Only desire can do that. An "emotional argument" is an argument that uses emotion in an attempt to prove what could otherwise be obtained through logic. A desire to value a future life is certainly not something that can be "logically obtained". The purpose of the last paragraph was (assuming there really is such a thing as partial birth abortion going on) most certainly filled with emotion, for only emotion can provide us with our life goals. For example, why is it "logical" to do things that increase your own probability of survival or increase the probability of survival of mankind?

(Now I speak to everyone). And speaking of the survival of mankind, if your desire is to improve mankind's chances, then we must embrace an attitude of valuing life just a tad blindly. And thus we should value potential life, as well. This is a purely emotional appeal, although it is also a logical conviction of hypocrites claiming to desire the survival of mankind, but who also embrace an attitude that devalues life. Certainly the argument can be made that evolution should be allowed to do its work via a mother's decision to kill her child. But when a society condones that attitude, it gets generalized by later generations into an attitude that generally devalues life.