What does sin(z with a hat) mean?

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation is about using Cauchy-Riemann equations to prove that sin(z hat) and cos(z hat) are not analytic. The person is unsure about the meaning of "hat" and is looking for clarification on which conjugate to use. They mention the equation for sin(z) and ask for clarification on what "hat" means.
laura_a

Homework Statement

Sorry for the non-technical term, but I need to use cauchy-riemann equations on sin(z hat) and cos(z hat) to prove they're not analytic... which I'm sure I could try if I knew what it mean... I know for elementary maths that it means conjugate... but I can't find anywhere in my textbook which one to conj? If that's even what it is...

Homework Equations

sin(z) = [e^(iz) - e^(-iz) ] /2i

The Attempt at a Solution

so if that's the equation they want me to differentiate for C-R eqns then what is it's "hat" :) ...

Physics news on Phys.org
"hat" of a+bi is a-bi. It's the complex conjugate, as you said.

I cannot provide a specific response without knowing the context in which "sin(z with a hat)" is being used. However, in general, the notation "z hat" could refer to the conjugate of the complex number z, denoted as z*. This means taking the complex conjugate of both the real and imaginary parts of z. For example, if z = a + bi, then z* = a - bi.

If this is the case, then sin(z with a hat) would mean taking the sine of the conjugate of z, which can be written as sin(z*) or sin(a - bi). In terms of the Cauchy-Riemann equations, this would involve differentiating the real and imaginary parts of sin(z*) separately and checking if they satisfy the equations.

However, without further context or clarification, it is difficult to determine the exact meaning of "sin(z with a hat)". It is important to carefully define notation and terminology in mathematics in order to avoid confusion.

Related to What does sin(z with a hat) mean?

1. What is the meaning of "sin(z with a hat)?"

The expression "sin(z with a hat)" refers to the sine function applied to the variable z, where z has a hat symbol (^) on top of it. This notation is commonly used in complex analysis to represent the sine function in the complex plane.

2. How is sin(z with a hat) different from regular sin(z)?

The difference lies in the domain of the function. While regular sine function maps real numbers to real numbers, sin(z with a hat) maps complex numbers to complex numbers. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the sine function.

3. Is there a specific reason for using z with a hat in the notation?

Yes, the hat symbol is used to differentiate the complex variable z from the real variable x commonly used in the notation for sine function. It also helps to distinguish between the complex and real parts of the function.

4. What are the applications of sin(z with a hat)?

The sine function with a hat is used in various fields of mathematics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. It has practical applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

5. Can you graph sin(z with a hat) on a regular x-y coordinate system?

No, since the domain of the function is complex numbers, it cannot be graphed on a regular x-y coordinate system. Instead, it is usually graphed on the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real part of z and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part of z.