Determine work done by electric field

In summary, the conversation discussed finding ##V_{MN}## using an electric field and unit vector calculations. However, the attempted solution was incorrect due to normalizing ##d\vec \ell## instead of using the appropriate displacement vector expression. The correct solution is -139.0 v.
Baramos

Homework Statement

Given electric field ##\vec E = 6x^2\hat i +6y\hat j+4\hat z## v/m
Find ## V_{MN}## if both M and N separate by M(2,6,-1) and N(-3,-3,2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here i find ##V_{MN}## by
unit vector from N to M is ##\frac 1 {\sqrt (115)}(5\hat i +9\hat j -3\hat k)##
so ##V_{MN} = -\int \vec E \cdot \vec {dl} = \int \vec E \cdot \vec {\frac 1 {\sqrt 115}(5dx\hat i +9dy\hat j -3dz\hat k)}##
and then i find intregral with respect to x from -3 to 2
respect to y from -3 to 6
respect to z from 2 to -1
and my answer is -103.97 v but textbook solution is -139.0 v what i do wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You should not normalise ##d\vec \ell##. You need to use the appropriate expression for the displacement vector, i.e., ##d\vec \ell = \hat i dx + \hat j dy + \hat k dz##.

Likes orientor and Baramos

What is the definition of work done by electric field?

The work done by an electric field is the amount of energy transferred to a charged particle as it moves through the field. It is measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the particle moves in the direction of the field.

What is the equation for calculating work done by electric field?

The equation for calculating work done by electric field is W = Fd = qEd, where W is the work done (in joules), F is the force (in newtons), d is the distance (in meters), q is the charge (in coulombs), and E is the electric field strength (in newtons per coulomb).

How does the direction of the electric field affect the work done?

The direction of the electric field affects the work done in the same way that the direction of the force affects the work done. If the electric field and the displacement of the charged particle are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative.

What is the relationship between work done by electric field and potential difference?

The work done by an electric field is equal to the change in potential energy of a charged particle. This means that there is a direct relationship between the work done and the potential difference. As the potential difference increases, the work done also increases.

How can work done by electric field be used in practical applications?

The concept of work done by electric field is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. This knowledge is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, motors, and generators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in the study of plasma physics.