What Does \sum_{i,j=1}^n A_{i,j} Mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the notation \sum_{i,j=1}^n A_{i,j} to represent a summation over an (n x n) matrix. The individual discussing the problem is uncertain about what the summation is over and considers two possibilities: \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n A_{i,j} and \sum_{i=1}^n A_{i,i}. After clarification, it is determined that the standard interpretation is \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n A_{i,j}.
hbweb500
I am working on a problem that uses the notation:

[tex]
\sum_{i,j=1}^n A_{i,j}
[/tex]

Where A is an (n x n) matrix. I am a little unsure of what the summation is over, due to the odd notation "i,j = 1". My first guess is that this is shorthand for

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n A_{i,j}
[/tex]

But I am wondering if it could also mean the sum over the diagonal elements of the matrix, i.e.:

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n A_{i,i}
[/tex]

I am guessing it is the first, but I want to make absolutely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your first guess is the standard interpretation.

Thanks!

Related to What Does \sum_{i,j=1}^n A_{i,j} Mean?

1. What is summation notation ambiguity?

Summation notation ambiguity refers to the potential for different interpretations or meanings of a summation expression in mathematics. This ambiguity can arise due to the use of different conventions or notations, leading to confusion or errors in calculations.

2. How does summation notation ambiguity occur?

Summation notation ambiguity can occur in a few different ways, such as when using different index variables, varying starting and ending values, or using different symbols for the summation notation. It can also arise when there are multiple summations in a single expression, making it unclear which operations should be performed first.

3. What are some examples of summation notation ambiguity?

One example of summation notation ambiguity is the expression ∑i=1n i, which can be interpreted as either the sum of the first n integers or the sum of all integers from 1 to n. Another example is the expression ∑n=1 n2, which could be interpreted as the sum of the squares of all natural numbers or the limit of the sum of squares as n approaches infinity.

4. How can summation notation ambiguity be avoided?

To avoid summation notation ambiguity, it is important to clearly define the notation and conventions being used in a specific context. This can include specifying the index variable, starting and ending values, and any other relevant information. It is also helpful to use parentheses or brackets to clearly indicate the order of operations in expressions with multiple summations.

5. Why is it important to address summation notation ambiguity?

Addressing summation notation ambiguity is important because it can lead to incorrect calculations and results, which can have significant consequences in scientific research and other fields that rely on precise mathematical calculations. It is also essential for clear communication and understanding among scientists and other individuals using mathematics in their work.