What does the Centroid of area under Rate vs Time plot represent?

In summary: The average rate is not always desirable. You lose detail of how much time is spent at a higher vs lower average rate.
geetar_king
What does the "Centroid" of area under Rate vs Time plot represent?

Does the 'centroid' of the area under a rate vs time plot represent anything?

I have a bunch of rate vs time plots and was trying to think of a way to compare them, other than just cumulative volume which is area under the rate vs time plot. Would centroid somehow weigh in on the rate?

Wondering if this represents anything physical...

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

I think the rate co-ordinate of the centroid will be the mean square of the rate divided by the mean rate. So it gives a measure of variance. Nothing springs to mind for the time co-ordinate.

Thanks haruspex, if the rate coordinate of the centroid represents the variance, then I could use that for comparison.

I was hoping to find something for comparison to weigh in on the value of the rate. If higher rate = better, variance won't help me in comparison. I don't want average rate because you lose detail of amount of time spent at higher vs lower rate

I wonder if area moment of inertia of the centroid would give me this? or some sort of weighted average maybe.

You need to decide what attribute it is you're looking for. You say say it's not the average rate, or the peak rate, or the variance... so what is it?

I want some attribute to distinguish higher rates in a shorter amount of time versus lower rates for a long amount of time. Eg tall skinny area under curve vs short and wide area.

I'm not sure how to do this without simply looking for shortest time, or highest avg rate.

OK, but why do you not want to use highest average rate?

If it's desirable to have a high average rate and a short amount of time, how about

(average rate) × (1/Δt)

[tex]= \frac{\left( \frac{\int R \ dt}{\Delta t} \right)}{\Delta t} = \frac{\int R \ dt}{(\Delta t)^2}[/tex]

That would mean the same rate applied over a short time is "better" than the same rate applied over a long time. Not sure if that is desirable, without knowing what this is supposed to be used for.

1. What is the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot?

The centroid of area under a rate vs time plot is the average value of the rate over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the total area under the curve by the total time interval.

2. How is the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot calculated?

The centroid of area under a rate vs time plot is calculated by finding the area under the curve using integration and then dividing it by the total time interval. This gives the average value of the rate over the given time period.

3. What does the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot represent in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot represents the average rate of change over a given time period. This can be useful in analyzing trends and making predictions in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

4. How is the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot useful in data analysis?

The centroid of area under a rate vs time plot is useful in data analysis as it provides a measure of the average rate of change over a given time period. This can help identify patterns and trends in the data and make predictions about future values.

5. Can the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot be negative?

Yes, the centroid of area under a rate vs time plot can be negative. This means that the average rate of change over the given time period is negative, indicating a decrease in the variable being measured.