What is the Method for Finding Area Between Curves?

In summary: I don't see why you move the parabola upwards with new boundaries. If you know the formula of the area of triangles, you can use the first method, if you like to integrate, then the other two are fine. The second explicitly uses the previous result of ##S_1## and the third calculates everything new in one step. It's used here, that integrals as well as areas can be calculated in one step.
Helly123

Homework Statement

6sco6e.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused avout questions 2-3.
The answers for 2-2 is 1
So the answer for 2-3 is $$\frac{1}{3}$$
But, how the area looks like? Because $$ x^2 $$ will be an open curve upside? There's no boundary for above side.

Attachments

• 6sco6e.jpg
    6sco6e.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us how you got to ##x_0=1## as intersection point? What did you get for the line equation ##s(x)= m_{2.1}x +\dfrac{3}{2}## and what for the tangent ##t(x)=m_t + b_t\,?## What is the slope ##m_t## of the tangent and where does it intersect the ##y-##axis at ##b_t\,##?

##s(x)## should bound the open parabola from above. Try to draw your results.

Last edited:
@fresh_42 ok.
L1 = line tangent to curve x^2
L2 = line orthogonal to L1

Gradient of L1 is the same as the curve that is 2x

L2 go through (0,3/2) and the point of L1 tangent to curve, we still don't know, let's refer it as (x, y ).
(x, y) on the curve too so it makes y = x^2. So the point is (x, x^2)

The tangent of L2 is orthogonal to tangent L1 that is -1/2x
L2 go through (0,3/2) and (x, x^2)

Using gradient = (y-y1/(x-x1)
I get x = 1, y = 1
So L2 = mx + c
When c = 3/2 and gradient = -1/2

For integral the boundaries are 0 and 1
The result is 1/3

fresh_42 said:
##s(x)## should bound the open parabola from above. Try to draw your results.

Do you mean the boundaries are y coordinates? But the question is respected to x

Helly123 said:
@fresh_42 ok.
L1 = line tangent to curve x^2
L2 = line orthogonal to L1

Gradient of L1 is the same as the curve that is 2x

L2 go through (0,3/2) and the point of L1 tangent to curve, we still don't know, let's refer it as (x, y ).
(x, y) on the curve too so it makes y = x^2. So the point is (x, x^2)

The tangent of L2 is orthogonal to tangent L1 that is -1/2x
L2 go through (0,3/2) and (x, x^2)

Using gradient = (y-y1/(x-x1)
I get x = 1, y = 1
So L2 = mx + c
When c = 3/2 and gradient = -1/2

For integral the boundaries are 0 and 1
The result is 1/3
Yes, so ##S_1=\frac{1}{3}##. The second area ##S_2##, is now bounded by the ##y-##axis and the line ##L_2(x)=-\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{3}{2}## which goes from ##(0,\frac{3}{2})## to ##(3,0)##. The parabola crosses this area, so it's bounded from above. The other two vertices are ##(0,0)## and ##(1,1)##. It looks like a piece of pie. Question 2-3 now asks to compute it's area ##S_2## and question 2-4 to calculate the ration between them. What is it, that you do not understand?

Helly123 said:
Do you mean the boundaries are y coordinates? But the question is respected to x
The boundaries are ##x=0## which is the ##y-##axis, the line ##L_2## and the parabola. I would integrate the parabola from ##x=0## to ##x=1##, the triangles from ##x=0## to ##(3,0)## and ##x=1## to ##(3,0)## and do some additions. Of course you can do it as well in one step.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, so ##S_1=\frac{1}{3}##. The second area ##S_2##, is now bounded by the ##y-##axis and the line ##L_2(x)=-\frac{1}{2}x+\frac{3}{2}## which goes from ##(0,\frac{3}{2})## to ##(3,0)##. The parabola crosses this area, so it's bounded from above. The other two vertices are ##(0,0)## and ##(1,1)##. It looks like a piece of pie. Question 2-3 now asks to compute it's area ##S_2## and question 2-4 to calculate the ration between them. What is it, that you do not understand?
What I don't get is, how the area of S1(x) looks like?
2r2yvjr.jpg

I'm sorry, i cannot rotate it..

Attachments

• 2r2yvjr.jpg
    2r2yvjr.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 321
This is the area ##S_2## we are looking for, you only have to bound it from above by ##L_2(x)=-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}## which goes from left to right and from ##(0,\frac{3}{2})## to ##(3,0)##. ##S_1## is below the parabola, not above, but we already know ##S_1=\frac{1}{3}##.

sp.png

Attachments

• sp.png
    sp.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
Likes Helly123
fresh_42 said:
This is the area ##S_2## we are looking for, you only have to bound it from above by ##L_2(x)=-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}## which goes from left to right and from ##(0,\frac{3}{2})## to ##(3,0)##. ##S_1## is below the parabola, not above, but we already know ##S_1=\frac{1}{3}##.

View attachment 217874
So for example, we have to find integral of x^2 + 1 with vertices 1, 2
The area is below the parabola?

Attachments

• 4io936.jpg
    4io936.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
##S_1## is below (outside, green) the parabola, ##S_2## is above (inside, red). We already know that ##S_1=\dfrac{1}{3}##.
Now there are three possibilities to calculate ##S_2##:
  • in three steps with the help of two triangles and ##S_1##
  • in two steps with ##\int_0^1 L_2(x)dx## and ##S_1##
  • directly in one step with the difference function of ##L_2## and the parabola.
I don't see why you move the parabola upwards with new boundaries. If you know the formula of the area of triangles, you can use the first method, if you like to integrate, then the other two are fine. The second explicitly uses the previous result of ##S_1## and the third calculates everything new in one step. It's used here, that integrals as well as areas can be added: ##\int f(x)dx \pm \int g(x)dx = \int (f(x) \pm g(x)) dx##.

Of course one has to be cautious as an integral describes an oriented volume (area), i.e. it can be negative whereas an area is not, but this doesn't play a role here. I only mention it, to prevent others from over-correcting me, and for you to be aware of the difference between an area and an integral.

Likes Helly123
fresh_42 said:
##S_1## is below (outside, green) the parabola, ##S_2## is above (inside, red). We already know that ##S_1=\dfrac{1}{3}##.
  • directly in one step with the difference function of ##L_2## and the parabola.
I don't see why you move the parabola upwards with new boundaries. If you know the formula of the area of triangles, you can use the first method, if you like to integrate, then the other two are fine. The second explicitly uses the previous result of ##S_1## and the third calculates everything new in one step. It's used here, that integrals as well as areas can be added: ##\int f(x)dx \pm \int g(x)dx = \int (f(x) \pm g(x)) dx##.

Of course one has to be cautious as an integral describes an oriented volume (area), i.e. it can be negative whereas an area is not, but this doesn't play a role here. I only mention it, to prevent others from over-correcting me, and for you to be aware of the difference between an area and an integral.
i am sorry, i uploaded wrong picture. Is this right? I understand your explanation. If the area is negative (below x coordinates) there are moment necessary to give negative sign.
n49seg.jpg

Attachments

• n49seg.jpg
    n49seg.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 359
Yes, that has been the function and integral in your previous post. I don't understand where it comes from and what it should be. I read question 2-3 as follows (although the word "implies" is a bit strange here):

"Letting ##S_2## be the value of the region with the line (*), this parabola and the line ##x=0## implies ##S_2=[{2-4}]##"

Letting ##S_2## be the value of the region ## \leftrightarrow ## area
with the line (*) ## \leftrightarrow ## ##L_2(x)=y= -\dfrac{1}{2} \cdot x+\dfrac{3}{2}##, i.e. the red line in my picture
this parabola ## \leftrightarrow ## ##p(x)=y=x^2##. i.e. the blue curve in my picture
and the line ##x=0## ## \leftrightarrow ## i.e. the ##y-##axis
implies ##S_2=[{2-4}]## ## \leftrightarrow ## i.e. the red area labeled with ##S_2## in my picture

There are several ways to calculate ##S_2## (see post #9). As we already know the area of ##S_1## (green area in my picture labeled with ##S_1##) it might be easiest to use ##S_1## and some triangles and additions / subtractions. But as an area you might as well write it as an integral ##S_2= \int_0^1 f(x)dx## where ##f(x)## is composed by the line ##L_2(x)## and the parabola ##p(x)##.

Likes Helly123
fresh_42 said:
Yes, that has been the function and integral in your previous post. I don't understand where it comes from and what it should be. I read question 2-3 as follows (although the word "implies" is a bit strange here):

"Letting ##S_2## be the value of the region with the line (*), this parabola and the line ##x=0## implies ##S_2=[{2-4}]##"

Letting ##S_2## be the value of the region ## \leftrightarrow ## area
with the line (*) ## \leftrightarrow ## ##L_2(x)=y= -\dfrac{1}{2} \cdot x+\dfrac{3}{2}##, i.e. the red line in my picture
this parabola ## \leftrightarrow ## ##p(x)=y=x^2##. i.e. the blue curve in my picture
and the line ##x=0## ## \leftrightarrow ## i.e. the ##y-##axis
implies ##S_2=[{2-4}]## ## \leftrightarrow ## i.e. the red area labeled with ##S_2## in my picture

There are several ways to calculate ##S_2## (see post #9). As we already know the area of ##S_1## (green area in my picture labeled with ##S_1##) it might be easiest to use ##S_1## and some triangles and additions / subtractions. But as an area you might as well write it as an integral ##S_2= \int_0^1 f(x)dx## where ##f(x)## is composed by the line ##L_2(x)## and the parabola ##p(x)##.
Sorry, i meant as an example that to find the area of x^2 + 1. So, the parabola i drew is right?

Helly123 said:
Sorry, i meant as an example that to find the area of x^2 + 1. So, the parabola i drew is right?
Yes.

And as a side note for what I've meant by an oriented volume: In your example you get ##\int_1^2 (x^2+1)dx= \frac{10}{3}## and ##\int_2^1 (x^2+1)dx= -\frac{10}{3}## although the area is the same, namely ##|\,\int_2^1 (x^2+1)dx \,| = + \frac{10}{3}##. The integral distinguishes the direction in which the area is measured. It is called orientation or oriented volume (here area).

fresh_42 said:
Three possibilities
the 3rd step "directly in one step with the difference function of L2 and parabola" is the most efficient way for me.

but for the "three steps with two triangles", looks like a lot more work to do.
Do you mean that we first find integral within x = 0 to x = 3 (let's refer it as A)
then, minus A with S1
also, minus A with integral within x = 1 to x = 3 of L2 (let's refer it as B)
so, S2 = A - S1 - B ?

for "two steps with the help of L2 and S1"
is that we find integral of L2 within x = 0 to x = 1 (let's refer it as C)
then we minus C with S1
so, S2 = C - S1 ?

Helly123 said:
Three possibilities
the 3rd step "directly in one step with the difference function of L2 and parabola" is the most efficient way for me.
Well, it's the most compact way. Whether it's efficient is a bit of a matter of taste. I find the methods below faster, because we don't have to integrate the ##L_2## part.
but for the "three steps with two triangles", looks like a lot more work to do.
Do you mean that we first find integral within x = 0 to x = 3 (let's refer it as A)
then, minus A with S1
also, minus A with integral within x = 1 to x = 3 of L2 (let's refer it as B)
so, S2 = A - S1 - B ?
Yes, but I won't integrate ##L_2##. The area formula for a right triangle is simply half the product of its catheti (legs), so you can more or less immediately tell the number and ##S_1## is already known. Here we have ##A=\operatorname{vol}(\{(0,\frac{3}{2}),(0,0),(3,0)\})=\frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{3}{2} \cdot 3## and ##B=\operatorname{vol}(\{(1,1),(1,0),(3,0)\})= \frac{1}{2} \cdot 1 \cdot 2 ##. No integration needed.
for "two steps with the help of L2 and S1"
is that we find integral of L2 within x = 0 to x = 1 (let's refer it as C)
then we minus C with S1
so, S2 = C - S1 ?
Yes. Here we calculate ##C=\operatorname{vol}(\{(0,\frac{3}{2}),(0,0),(1,0),(1,1)\})## as area below ##L_2##. And again we can integrate ##L_2## or add the square with length ##1## to the area of the triangle above the square. I find those elementary geometric figures easier than an integral, but as I said, it's a matter of taste.

I hope I got all the coordinates of the points correct.

yes, you are right. that way is easier. I didn't realized the triangles exactly before.

fresh_42 said:
Yes. Here we calculate ##C=\operatorname{vol}(\{(0,\frac{3}{2}),(0,0),(1,0),(1,1)\})## as area below ##L_2##. And again we can integrate ##L_2## or add the square with length ##1## to the area of the triangle above the square.
we can add triangle with square also then to minus S1. to find S2 , now the others possibilities are quite effective.

Helly123 said:
yes, you are right. that way is easier. I didn't realized the triangles exactly before.

we can add triangle with square also then to minus S1. to find S2 , now the others possibilities are quite effective.
There is one advantage of the geometric approach over the integral: in case the entire figure is intersected by the x-axis, i.e. with areas below and above the x-axis, we have to be very cautious with the integrals, as areas below the x-axis yield negative results and areas above positive. So we'll have to make sure, in case we are interested in a positive area, that nothing cancels out if written in one integral. Here it doesn't make a difference, since all areas are in a nicely behaving sector.

Likes Helly123
fresh_42 said:
There is one advantage of the geometric approach over the integral: in case the entire figure is intersected by the x-axis, i.e. with areas below and above the x-axis, we have to be very cautious with the integrals, as areas below the x-axis yield negative results and areas above positive. So we'll have to make sure, in case we are interested in a positive area, that nothing cancels out if written in one integral. Here it doesn't make a difference, since all areas are in a nicely behaving sector.
Yes, thank you

What does the exercise mean?

The meaning of an exercise can vary depending on the context. Generally, an exercise refers to a physical or mental activity performed for the purpose of improving or maintaining health and fitness.

Why is exercise important?

Exercise is important for maintaining a healthy body and mind. It can help prevent chronic diseases, improve mood, increase energy levels, and enhance overall quality of life.

What are the different types of exercise?

There are four main types of exercise: cardiovascular (aerobic), strength (anaerobic), flexibility, and balance. Each type has its own benefits and can be incorporated into a well-rounded exercise routine.

How often should I exercise?

The recommended amount of exercise varies based on age, health status, and fitness goals. Generally, adults should aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise per week.

What are some tips for staying motivated to exercise?

Finding an exercise routine that you enjoy and setting realistic goals can help with motivation. It can also be helpful to find a workout buddy or join a group fitness class for accountability and support. Rewarding yourself for reaching milestones can also be a great motivator.